Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

Wolf jabbed her knife toward her, but Marinette hit the floor and rolled. She was able to pop up behind Mylene and wrap an arm around her neck.

"Fox, go!" she shouted.

Nathanael didn't hesitate for one minute. Barely missing Wolf's blades, he burst out of the cave. Mylene growled in irritation, then flipped her knife around in her hand and attempted to stab Marinette in the face. Ladybug dodged but was forced to let go. Taking a few steps back, she desperately scanned the cave floor for anything she could use as a weapon. Other than the occasional rock and the sleeping bag that was obviously Mylene's, there wasn't anything.

Wolf turned over her shoulder and swung. Marinette took another giant step backwards, but the blade was able to cut her sleeve. Her wounds that were almost completely healed, were now reopened. Wincing, Marinette, pressed a hand to her arm, blood seeping out between her fingers.

Mylene chuckled. "So, looks like the undefeatable Ladybug isn't as undefeatable as she looks."

"Well, I'm sorry I disappointed you, but I at least fight back."

Wolf's smile melted into a sneer. "Fighting back is going to kill you, and I'm going to do it!" She stabbed her sword at her, but Marinette fell back, hitting the ground butt first. She scrambled back out into the pouring rain. The wet grass and mud smeared all over her hands and all down her pants, but compared to the sword-swinging maniac in front of her, she figured her already-wet clothes couldn't get much more ruined anyway.

"Mylene, please," she begged but was cut off by the knife that sliced right in front of her, barely missing her knee.

"I am not Mylene!" her enemy shouted. "I am Wolf, the charm who is finally going to take down Ladybug!"

She swung the sword at her and Marinette squeaked and turned away. SHING! The right side of her head suddenly became lighter. Marinette gasped as she saw her right ponytail fly through the air and hit the grass. Still in shock of what just happened, she looked up. Wolf stood above her, her sword raised to impale her.

"This is for Ivan," she seethed.

Marinette firmly squeezed her eyes shut. I'm sorry, Chat... I should have been the one to promise not to get into trouble...

She heard Mylene scream in anger. Her whole life flashed before her eyes, or, at least it would have if the scream hadn't been cut off unexpectedly. To her left, something hit the ground hard. Marinette's eyes flew open and she turned.

Nathanael, that savior of a fox, had tackled Wolf and the two were now rolling around in the mud like a pair of pigs. Mylene's sword and knife had skidded out of her grasp, lost somewhere in the tall grass. As Marinette struggled to pull herself up, Fox punched and kicked Wolf like an animal protecting its children.

"I won't let you hurt her!" he shouted over and over with every hit he landed, a few of "Ever!"'s scattered in as well.

Ladybug got to her feet and was about to rush over and help him, but he seemed to have the situation under control. He had pinned Wolf. The girl was on her back, Nathanael's knee pressed into her chest and his hands firmly gripping her forearms. His face was smeared with a mix of blood, water, and mud. His hair had turned from red to brown due to the excessive amounts of wet dirt. Though, through that all, his eyes were flashing with anger.

"Nobody gets away with hurting Ladybug," he hissed, "not on my watch."

Marinette watched, the pouring rain dripping off of her nose, chin, and clothes, as Nathanael ripped Mylene's miraculous necklace right off of her neck. In a fog of purple and a flash of silver, she disappeared. Breathing heavily, Fox leaned back on his knees and lowered his head. Droplets of water dripped from the tips of his hair as if attempted to wash out the mud from it. Marinette dropped to her knees, trying to take in what had just happened.