Impossible Chances

It was the first time the young woman took zero notice of how much her muscles were hurting as she ran. All she could think of was getting out alive. Never in her life did she think she would have to face her worst fear. The thought of being burned at the stake was ridiculous, and she would always be the first out of the house if the smoke alarms ever went off. However, she never anticipated running from a dragon's breath. Not even in her imagination.

Talia was sprinting up the stairs, heading towards the tunnel she entered through. It wasn't until she got to the top that she saw him. "You're alive!" Thorin breathed.

"Yeah, for now!" she shouted back, her mind set on getting out.

"Did you find the Arkenstone?" he asked.

Talia paid no mind to Thorin's question. "The dragon's coming!" she exclaimed, her eyes still focused on the exit.

The Terran panted heavily as Thorin stood in front of the threshold. "The Arkenstone." he repeated, and that was when Talia noticed that there was a certain hardness in his voice. A hardness that she'd never heard before. "Did you find it?" Thorin asked lowly. Talia looked at the Dwarf king, and hesitated.

She was about to reach into her pocket for the stone when she looked into Thorin's eyes. They looked...different. He looked different. Thorin looked as if he were starving...aggressively starving...for the Arkenstone. Then she remembered Smaug's words, and she tried not to widen her eyes. She didn't want to believe it. She didn't want to believe that Thorin could ever come close to losing his mind.

Talia immediately drew her hand away from her pocket. She couldn't give him the stone. Not now, when she wasn't sure if it would hurt him. Then she remembered that they weren't in the treasure room alone. "We have to get out of here." she pressed, taking another step towards the exit.

The young woman was immediately blocked by the blade of Thorin's sword. What she didn't expect was for the Dwarf king to turn and point the weapon straight at her heart. "Thorin?" Talia widened her eyes. Thorin began to step towards her, backing her away from the exit, eyes narrowed. Talia put her hands in the air. "Thorin." she pressed, a lump forming in her chest.

This wasn't Thorin...was it? No. It couldn't be. Even when he couldn't stand to be anywhere near Talia, Thorin never looked at her the way he was now. He was looking at her as if he were suspecting her of something...he was looking at her as if he'd never seen her before...as if she were an intruder in his home.

Talia felt a sting in her eye as she took another step back. Please. Please, Thorin. This isn't you. Don't do this. she mentally begged. Her thoughts were interrupted when she could hear them. The massive footsteps. She moved her focus to the dragon, who was slowly stalking towards them.

Thorin narrowed his eyes at Talia, and then quickly widened them. Talia breathed a sigh of relief when he seemed to look more like himself. His expression turned into one of concern, and then he looked absolutely horrified. The young woman gasped when he dropped his sword to the ground. Thorin opened his mouth to say something when he heard a growl. He looked Smaug straight in the eye as he came towards the two of them.

The Dwarf king grabbed Talia by the arm and pulled her behind him. He kept his hold on the Terran, shielding her body with his own, and then reached down to pick up his sword. He turned so that he was facing the dragon, his sword at the ready. Talia's panting grew faster in pace. She didn't want to die. Not like this. As the dragon came closer, Talia suddenly heard the battle cries of the company running through the tunnel, weapons raised.

Smaug roared as he began to charge. "YOU WILL BURN!" he roared. Thorin yelled at the company to jump, shoving Talia forward. The young woman landed on the gold and began to slide down it. The company made their way into another tunnel, and Talia felt another hand grabbing her and pulling her towards him. Dori.