A Close Clash

"Talia. Talia." The young woman woke to Bofur lightly shaking her arm. She groaned in protest. She did not want to get up. Talia reluctantly opened her eyes as Bofur told her that they were about to move out. As Talia was getting her things together, she could hear one of the Dwarves stopping just behind her.

"You. Burglar." a deep voice called. Talia turned around in disbelief. There was the leader, standing tall and proud before her, giving her what she noted to be his famous glare. "Do not think I didn't see you nearly fall off your pony earlier. Your lack of sleep has made you unstable." he growled.

The young woman narrowed her eyes. He really has no idea how stupid he sounds, does he? "Wow. Thanks for the tip, Captain Obvious. That helps me...oh wait, it doesn't. You just wanted to make a point. Well, you've made it, you can get out of my face now." she snorted and turned back around to zip up her backpack.

"Who are you to tell me what to do?" he snapped, causing her to look at him again. As he began to step towards her, she stepped back...until she backed into a tree. Thorin closed in on her until they were practically nose to nose, both of them glaring. "I am the leader of this company, and you are no higher than the help. You are nothing. You think you've made friends? Ha. They won't be there once I've come for you. They won't stop me." he hissed.

"Is that supposed to be a threat?" she snapped.

"That is a warning. You will never question my authority again."

"You want a bet, Stupid Dwarf?" she challenged. Thorin's eyes flared with fury. He looked like he wanted to hit her, and Talia would be lying if she didn't admit that she was anticipating a blow.

"You had better start being more careful, or I will make this journey a misery for you." And with that, he walked away, but not before stopping after a few feet. "Because you nearly fell off your pony, that makes you incapable of riding. You will ride with me for the rest of the day." he sneered, and continued on his way.

Talia's jaw practically hung all the way to the core of Middle Earth. WHAT? WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED? She couldn't believe what he'd just said. She couldn't. Thorin would seriously exercise his "authority" towards her by practically punishing himself at the same time?

Wait. There had to be more to it than just that. There were other ways that Thorin could make her miserable without having to be so close to her. Then it hit her. He was trying to tear down her own image. He was trying to make her appear weak in front of everyone else. He was trying to prove himself right. That she never should have come, and was completely incapable of taking care of herself.

Talia was so angry, she nearly punched the tree to the side of her. She wouldn't do it. She would do everything she possibly could to avoid this. It wasn't just the fact that her small reputation with the company would suffer. She didn't like Thorin. She didn't want to ride with him.

The girl thought about asking one of the others if she could ride with them, until it occurred to her that what Thorin had told her was annoyingly correct. The others were loyal to him, not her. They would do whatever the leader told them to do. Talia could see some of the Dwarves mounting their ponies already. She was screwed.

"Burglar! Here. Now." Before she could back away, Dwalin came up behind Talia, and took hold of her arm and walked her towards the leader.

"I suggest you do as he says, lass. Don't make a fuss out of it." the warrior snarled as they got closer. When they approached Thorin's pony, there was practically a staring contest between the two.

"Get on the horse." he demanded.

Talia scowled. "Hell no. I will walk the rest of the way without shoes before I spend hours of the day within centimeters of you." Thorin nodded to Dwalin, and the warrior put his arms under Talia's armpits, and lifted her up. "Hey! Put me down!" she yelled.