Feeling

'Guys? I have something to admit,' Sara spoke lightly, placing the lid back onto her lunch box. Lunch time began almost half an hour ago at Sara's school. So far, she'd spent the time nibbling at a few crackers, working up the courage to say what'd been on her mind the last month.

Lacey didn't bother to look up, she just continued to unwrap her sandwich. 'Go for it,' she replies, before biting into her food.

'Well, what are you waiting for?' Alex asked. He peered at Sara, waiting for her explanation.

As all eyes focused on Sara, she began to lose her courage. But why? Why was what she wanted to say such a big deal? Why couldn't she just, well, say it?

Lacey, Alex and Calvin's expressions all showed signs of encouragement. Was it really that obvious that she was struggling to get a few words out? Sara looked at each of her best friends faces, before shifting her gaze to the ground. The small group was sitting on the concrete outside the science block. Nearby, Kelly's group sat next to the main doors of the art block. Sara's back was turned firmly to Kelly. After all, if Sara was going to tell her friends she liked the girl, it wouldn't do well to be looking at her. It would completely drain Sara of all courage to carry out her confession.

She breathed deeply, before opening her mouth to speak. 'I like someone,' she hurriedly spoke.

Alex nodded. Calvin grinned. From Lacey's position next to Sara, she squealed loudly, almost imitating a guinea pig. Seeing their reactions, Sara simply cringed.

'This is exciting! You're finally admi- I mean, who is it?' Lacey covered her mistake with an innocent smile.

Even so, Sara's eyes widen at her words. 'You mean . . . you guys knew?'

Calvin sighed. 'Probably before you did.' He stopped for a moment, carefully constructing his next sentence. 'I can see why you like this Kelly - Jones, is it? Alex told us a bit about her. She seems nice,' Calvin smirks. Alex nudges him. 

Across from him, Sara blushes, her cheeks and neck resembling a growing fire. Her friends giggle at both this and Calvin's comments. As the laughter broke off, they began to tell her about all the little ways she'd being so accidentally obvious. According to them, the signs started about a month ago. Alex said he figured out she liked someone just a few days after Kelly had been to Sara's house. And just a week or so later, he figured out just who she liked.

While Sara's mind processed this new information, a conversation completely unknown to her had started just meters away.

Kelly was sitting with her friends as they ate lunch. Dana and Matt lent against each other, while Kelly sat across from them, feeling just like a third wheel. Dana had her phone out and was taking pictures of herself and her boyfriend. Kelly huffed in annoyance and turned her attention elsewhere. She ended up looking across the concrete courtyard to the small group beyond her own. Her eyes immediately fall on Sara. Her friends all seemed focused on her, as if she were addressing the group. She watched as Alex nodded in Sara's direction slowly. Kelly had spoken to Alex a number of times and he seemed to be a really interesting guy - just the type of person Kelly wanted to make friends with. Another friend, whom Kelly didn't know, grinned brightly at Sara. There was a girl next to Sara - was her name Lucy or Lacey? Kelly wasn't sure, as she'd barely crossed paths with her. Kelly looked on as the girl let out a small squeal. It reminded Kelly of a guinea pig. Her favourite animal.

A hand waved in front of her face brought Kelly back to attention. 'Earth to Kelly?' Matt joked.

Kelly felt the urge to roll her eyes, but fought it, as to keep peace in her friendships. 'Sorry, I was a bit distracted,' she mutters, a small pink blush painted on her cheeks. 'What'd you say?'