Loveable Winners

-Chris' POV-

A lot has happened over the last 108 years, we've had legends born and die, we've seen the greatest tragedies and over came them with the strongest of wills. Since 1908 we've moved pass the model t cars and can drive a 2017 mustang. We have medicine to cure people, life expectancy isn't 46 anymore. But something that hasn't happened in 108 years was a Chicago Cubs championship, but thanks to a special group of guys that's all going to change. History hasn't been kind to the 'lovable losers' . You got the goat and the cat and you can't leave out poor Steve Bartman, bless his soul. They seemed to have everything but the hardware, why is that? You don't have to believe in curses to figure out that destiny hurt wasn't in their side. But I believe everything happens a certain way for a reason, even if we don't like what happens. You can't tell me that the longest drought in sports history wasn't going to be broken any other way than a come back from down 3-1 in the series to force a game seven only to lose the lead with four outs left and be forced to extra innings only to be stopped by probably the most useless rain delay in the history of all of sports. I mean come on, if we're going to end the longest drought in sports history it wasn't going to be easy. Where's the fun in that? So when millions of long suffering Cubs fans or the ones who is along to enjoy the ride all sit through quite possibly the shortest rain delay in post season history and everything is coursing through your mind at the same time, remember this. All hope is gone when you decide to let it go.

17 minutes. All it took was seven minutes for Jason to remind this team that it's not over, that it's not over until they say it's over. Even with history and momentum going against them, it's their time. That this turmoil has to come to an end sometime, why not today? After the tarp was taken off the Cubs waisted no time getting things started. Kyle singles through the gap and is lifted for Almora Jr. to pinch run. Kris moves him to second with a sac fly and Anthony takes the empty base by an intentional walk, smart people. Remember Ben? The same guy who tied the game in the ninth during the clinching game in San Fran, the guy who constantly delivers for this team time and time again. He just hit an 10th inning RBI double in game seven of the World Series.

"Oh my god" Theo whispers from beside me.

We watched this game from the bleachers because regualrdless of what happens, you're gonna want to be out here to see it.

"Wait, you were worried" I joke and he rolls his eyes.

"I already have a therapist set up back home" he cracks. I couldn't imagine how stresssed he was, there was some questionable calls and decisions in this game, it wasn't pretty on either side, but he hasn't sat still since the seventh inning. Miggy comes clutch (again) with a RBI single and now all we needed was three outs. Sounds easy when you put it that way... doesn't it?

It's funny how things work out around here. One day you're sobbing on your knees wondering where it all went wrong. You're left picking up the pieces but have no dies where they go. Another day you're on the field celebrating your teams first championship in over a century, and you're a part of it. I used to think hope was for suckers. I thought that it was just something people told you to believe in to build you up then tear you down. I wasn't sure what hope really meant. But for millions of people in the great city of Chicago and outside of it, it means that when everything seems impossible, it becomes possible.

"Holy shit" Kris yells as he comes towards me.

"You did it" I smile as he pulls me into the nicest hug I have ever felt in my life.

"No baby, we did it" he says and I feel a chill. I look around and see the screen says in big bold letters "CHICAGO CUBS WORLD CHAMPIONS" and it still hadn't sunk in.

"I don't even know what to say" I gasp.

"I do" Kris claims as Anthony hands him something. He gets down on one knee and I feel my heart racing.

"Chris, I don't even know where start with you, so let me go to the beginning. From the second I laid my eyes on you I knew you were exactly what I needed. I told Anthony I fell in love that very same day and he thought I had lost my mind, but I was right. Every day you prove to me that you are unlike any other, but something about the day you literally ran into me I just knew I had to be with you. For the first time in my life something besides baseball was constantly running around in my head, and it was you. I spent spring training trying to find out who the real you was, and coincidentally so were you. What I found was a really great girl who wants nothing but to see the best in others. You always pick me up after a bad game or listen to me rant about how bad Davids feet smell. I would trust you with any secret and would be okay with being put in the most difficult situation as long as I can get through it with you. And now we're expecting two kids and are going to be moving into our dream house. The only thing missing from this perfect future is a ring on your finger and a change in last names. So Christina Edwards, will you marry me" he asks. Kris opens a small red box to reveal the prettiest ring I have ever seen in my life. But I didn't care about the ring, I cared about the man who went from stranger to best friend to love of my life all in the matter of a week. The same man who showed me the best parts of life, who picked up my broken pieces and loved me unconditionally, the man one day I will call my husband.

"Yes" I stutter and he slides the ring onto my shaking hand. He stands up and I plant a big kiss on his lips. This was really the best day ever.