Closure

-Kris POV-

"What about this dog" I ask pointing to puppy with brilliant blue eyes. I wore Chris down enough to get a dog but she will only get a rescue dog.

"It's cute, just like the last one and the one before that" she laughs. She loves everything, why did I think she could choose a dog?

"Oh my god" she whispers walking over to a kennel where a puppy was hiding in the corner. I look at the papers and it was a golden retriever puppy named Clark, how fitting? "Come here boy" Chris says in her puppy voice and he slowly gets up and plops himself in the front of the cage so she could pet him. I wonder why he was in the pound?

"Kris he is absolutely adorable" she says playing with him through the gate.

"Would you like to take him out? He's really good with commands" a lady informs us and I nod.

They give him a Cubs leash and I let out a laugh, they had to be messing with us. Chris and I play with him for a while and I knew there was no way she would let them put him back into the kennel. She hands him to me as she goes to fill out paper work to adopt him and I have to admit, he was pretty cute.

"You excited for a new home boy" I ask and his ears perk up. This is going to be fun.

Clark cuddles up in my lap as Chris cuddles into my side while we wait until it's time to go to the game. Pregame naps are a lot warmer with the little fuzz ball joining in on the fun.

"I already love this dog" she laughs petting his head while he sleeps. Chris' sister agreed to care for the dog while we were gone as long as we won the series while we were out. There's not much I can control there but I'll try my best.

"I think he needs a little Kris Bryant jersey" I state and she lets out a small giggle.

"That would be cute" she admits.

-Chris' POV-

"Hey Kris, I'm going out. Do you need anything" I yell as he works out in the spare room.

"I'm good, thank you" he yells back and I slip out.

I'm not one to keep secrets but I knew if Kris knew where I was going he wouldn't let me out. But since he never asked I didn't have to lie to him.

I get in my car and drive down to the jail and give all my information before they let me in. I sit in a stall where a glass wall separates the good and the bad. I watch Mike sit across from me and pick up the phone and I suddenly got the feeling this was a real shitty idea, but I needed answers because I didn't want him in my head for another second.

"You came back" he smiles and the sound of his voice shook me to my core. I once loved this man and now I couldn't even see or hear him without feeling sick.

"I'm not here because of the past, Mike, I'm here for the future. My future. Something you haven't completely ruined. Well not yet" I say straight faced. I don't want him knowing he's gotten to me. "Why did you do it" I ask with my voice cracking, real tough Chris.

"Because I wanted to feel you one more time. Wanted to see our house, what our life together would have been like. Plus I wanted to show you that pretty boy can't save you from everything. He's no Prince Charming or a knight in shining armor" he says.

"And you are? I'm not sure what happened to you but it's real unfortunate. I know deep down you're not this abusive jerk but you just don't seem to care about the greater good, now do you" I snap.

"I fucked up, I get that now. But he's already got it all, why does he get to have you too" he asks.

"I'm not a prize Mike, I was supposed to be along side you not behind you. Through thick and thin. But when things got bad you wouldn't let me help you, instead you decide to make things worse. You can't blame me for not wanting to be a part of that" I defend.

"I thought I had to show you who was superior. You ended up with the job and the education and the talent while I got left behind. I was jealous, my pride was hurt, so I wanted to show who was in charge" he explains.

"A relationship isn't Alpha and omega, it's husband and wife. I wasn't your Barbie doll or puppet, I was supposed to be your other half and you used me" I remind him.

"I know now that I was stupid and a jerk but it's too late. But I miss you and my parents always ask about you and how you are because you were like a daughter to them" he rambles.

"And now you rot in jail for what you've done" I finish for him.

"We could've been great together" he claims.

"We could have, but you ruined that" I remind him.

"I hope you don't think you've won. Because even though I'm in here, I'm in here too" he responds pointing to his head.

It was then I realized he knew what he was doing to me, and it was working. "Every time you close your eyes to imagine your perfect little life with your new man, I will be there instead. Because every time you close your eyes it's me you see, not him" he says lowering his voice.

"You're wrong" I squeak out before he lets out a laugh.

"I might not have you but he will never have all of you either. Because part of you is still me. The scars heal but the mind doesn't" he says and I drop the phone.

He was pulled away, but the damage was already done. I rush home with tears falling heavy and tried to find Kris.

I walk down the hall to see Kris on the floor with Clark playing with a ball. Kris would roll it then have Clark receive it in order to get a treat, he was the sweetest puppy ever. I watch for a little because it made me feel happy. I sniffle and kind of forget about the reality of the situation. That is until Kris catches my glance and springs to his feet before engulfing me in a hug.

"Oh sweetie, what's wrong" he asks sitting me down on his bed.

I explain where I went to and why but spare him the details. He doesn't say anything but just holds me tight in his embrace. "You're mad at me aren't you" I sob into his chest.

"I could never be mad at you. You just wanted answers, I get that. I just wish you would have told me before" he says letting me go so we could lay on his bed.

"If I told you, you wouldn't have let me go" I say.

"Okay, you got me there. But would that have been such a bad thing" he asks and I ponder for a little.

"I just want closure. I want him out of my mind and out of my life" I explain as he pulls me to his side.

"I get that, but the past is the past. Nothing we do will fix that. He can't hurt you anymore unless you let him. The way I see it is that you have great job, everyone loves the you you've become, and you found a pretty good guy too if I do say so myself" he says cockily and I laugh.

"Yeah, he's pretty great" I say and he squeezes me side.

"Did you get the answers you wanted" he asks and I let out a deep breath. Like eight years of bad decisions breath and turn to look at my amazing boyfriend.

"I got everything I wanted and more" I say with a smile then he matches mine.

"What do you say we take Clark out for a walk" he suggest and I perk up.

"I would love that".