Episode 17| Achy Breaky Heart

Start from the beginning

"We aren't all built the same. I understand why you don't like possessive guys, and I respect that. Similar to how I respect the fact that you like guys with a mullet and think they're hot."

"I never said that," I exclaimed. "Those weren't my words."

"I'm summarizing. You said something along those lines when you heard that country song last year. What was the name of it again?"

"Achy Breaky Heart," I retorted. "Quit acting like you don't remember the song. I vividly recall you dancing along with the music video."

"Lies. You're telling lies."

A soft knock from the door caused me to turn my head. I got up from my comfy spot on the floor and opened the door. It was my mother. Lying my phone to my chest, I greeted her.

"Who are you on the phone with?" She asked, peeking around and scanning the laundry room as if I had hidden someone in there with me. "I heard you talking."

"I'm on the phone with Nicolas. You know Nicolas."

She wiped her hands on her kitchen towel, asking in Spanish. "Did you invite him to the dinner?"

"No, I haven't." I talked to her in English, knowing well enough that she didn't like that.

"You can if you want to. We have enough room." She gave up early this time and switched back to English. "He's always welcomed here."

"Sure, I'll ask if he's busy." I lifted the phone to my ear. "We're having a family dinner -"

"I'll be there." He announced before I could get the words out of my mouth. "If there's free food involved, I'll be there. Is there going to be a birthday cake?"

"I thought we were going to have all that set up at your house tonight before the carnival."

"We are. But who said there's such a thing of having too much birthday cake? You can have two."

"I'm probably going to have to pay for them both, aren't I?" I grumbled.

"No. I can pay for the first one." He assured me. "I called the bakery half an hour ago and they said it would be ready by now. Wanna get all the supplies and then call everyone to my place?"

"Everyone? I thought it was just me and you."

"Yeah, me, you, Lora, and Brooklyn."

My mom waved goodbye at me, seeing that I was back to my talk with Nicolas. "Wait, I'm confused...when did you invite Brooklyn?"

"You said to stop being mean to her, so I am. It's not my fault you want to be nice to rude people."

"She's your cousin, Nicolas."

"She's my cousin, not my kid. I don't have to like her. I still love her at the end of the day, but that doesn't mean I'll tolerate her rudeness and brush it off. I tell her when she pisses me off, straight up."

"And so do I."

Nicolas made no effort to hold back his laughter. "Oh wait. You were serious?"