Chapter 18 ~ Held Hostage Again

Note: I'm back! It's been a while, I know, but I haven't felt like writing that much since my grandmother passed away... but I'm back writing now. Sorry for the shortness of this chapter but it's leading up to a longer one ;)

The first thing I noticed was the pounding in my head that felt like someone hammering at my skull. I winced and tried to lift my hands up to touch the sore spot on my forehead but there was something restricting me. Groaning, I slowly opened my eyes and glanced down at my wrists which were tied tightly together with some frayed rope. I let out a frustrated sigh before leaning my head against the wall I was propped up against. It looked to be a small white room - it probably had been someone's house at one point but now it was no more than a holding cell for me. What a fine mess I had gotten myself into.

I love Owen - that's one thing that won't change. But getting involved with these Wolves had been a mistake, I see that now. I didn't want this. I don't want to murder people or take over someone's shelter. It wasn't fair and it wasn't right. Then again, I'd had no choice if I wanted to be with Owen...

Owen! What had happened to him? That man with the staff had knocked him out right before he'd done the same to me. I looked beside me frantically and then let out a sigh of relief as my brown eyes landed on his unconscious form. Strands of his chestnut-colored locks hung in his face, his pale skin peeking out from underneath. Suddenly, the door to the tiny room was flung open and in walked the man that had attacked us previously. I scooted closer to Owen and lightly touched his hand with my fingertips but he still didn't wake.

The man looked over at me then as he squatted down across from Owen and myself. His eyes were so dark, I could barely see his pupils. He stared at me intensely for a moment, taking in my disheveled and dirty appearance before he began to speak.

"Who are you?" he asked, a thick Southern accent tinging his words.

I bit my lip, not knowing if I should answer or not. This man didn't know me and it was probably best that way. And yet...there was no way he could trace me after this since there wasn't any technology of any kind.

"I'm Angel." I said quietly, smartly deciding not to reveal my last name.

He didn't need to know that anyway. He nodded once and started to say something else when he was interrupted by a groan. My head snapped to the sound which had emitted from Owen's lips. I rested my hand on his arm as his dark brown eyes opened. He blinked for a few seconds as his vision cleared then his eyes landed on our kidnapper. He started to lunge at him but he broke off and clutched his side, wincing.

I furrowed my eyebrows at him. What was wrong with Owen?

"And what's your name?" he asked, directing the question towards my boyfriend.

Owen gritted his teeth but stayed silent.

"Fine. That's alright. You don't have to tell me. All you have to do is listen. Listen to what happened to me before I arrived here. And then you can decide what you're gonna do from here on out..." he started his story.