Chapter 9 ~ I'm A Bad Driver

I drove all night, one hand on the steering wheel and the other propped against the window sill. You'd think I'd be tired by now but I wasn't. Thoughts of what I'd finally admitted to myself had kept me awake as well. My feelings terrified me. I'd never experienced love before except for the love I had for my mother of course. But not...not true love.

Not...not the way I felt about him. I bit my lip. My worry for Owen was also keeping me awake. He still hadn't woken up yet and I was getting concerned. He needed medical care. Care I couldn't give him.

I really needed some antibiotics for his wound. But I had none and I had no clue where to get some from. A hospital would be ideal but by now, they'd have been ransacked and over-run by walkers. The wolves might could help... No! No, I couldn't go there. Not again.

I trusted Owen but...I didn't trust them. My mind flitted through the possibilities of where I could get the medicine from. All pharmaceuticals would have been looted as well as all drug stores. Suddenly, it hit me. A grocery store! Of course!

Why hadn't I thought of that before? Most people would have only thought of the obvious stores but not that. Well, hopefully not. It was worth a shot, at least. Firmly gripping the wheel with one hand, I reached out my free hand and pulled open the glove compartment. It fell open with a loud thunk.

I dug around with one hand, trying to keep my eyes on the road before my fingers finally grasped what I was looking for. Smiling, I lifted it up to my eyes. Yes! A map! This would get me to where I needed to be. I spread it across the steering wheel, my eyes scanning the locations checked by red pinpoints. Finally, I scoped out a possible area. It was small and out-of-the-way.

Fingers crossed it wouldn't be raided too. I drove for a few more miles passing nothing but walkers and old road signs faded by the sun. The store wasn't far now. Just a few more miles to go. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something flash by. Glancing through the trees as I continued on, I saw nothing.

I sighed. It was just my imagination playing tricks on me. No one had followed us...I was sure of it. Minutes ticked by with no other signs of life and I relaxed in my seat. I was just paranoid, that's all.

Without warning, several dark figures shot out of the woods and onto the road just a few feet in front of me. I gasped and swerved, gripping the wheel so hard that my knuckles turned white. The tires skidded across the road loudly before the car bounced and spun. The car rolled violently over and over. My life flashed before my eyes at that moment, my heart pounding wildly in my chest. I squeezed my eyes shut and prayed for it to stop as my stomach churned.

A deafening crash sounded out in the woods then and a mighty jolt shuddered through the frame of the small car. I opened my eyes slowly and coughed as the smoke that was emitting from the hood filled my lungs. The smell of burning rubber penetrated the vehicle and with dread, I realized the car was on fire. My mind immediately went to Owen and I craned my head around to look at him. His unconscious body lay on what used to be the roof. The car had flipped so many times and was upside-down now, I discerned.

I let out a whimper at the sight of his bloody face and put my hands above me, touching the pavement that was covered in shards of glass. My loose brown hair touched the ground and slowly lifting my head up, I tried to assess the situation. My seat-belt was still strapped around me and I was stuck. I tried not to panic but my heartbeat sped up. Briefly, I looked out of my window and saw a pair of dark boots walking towards me. Suddenly, I didn't care how foolish it was and my brave facade melted.

I let out a cry of fear and jiggled my seat-belt hastily, trying to get out.

"Please, please, please..." I whimpered.

All at once, those boots were in front of me and a man's face sneered down at me. There was a large W imprinted on his forehead.

"Angel Dixon...I guess we finally caught you." he said, malevolently.

I felt a sharp pain in the back of my head and then my world went black.