6. Real me

Reality came in the form of my dad.

My foot had barely touched the fourth floor of the west wing, the seniors floor when my so-called-dad came storming down the hallway towards me. I could practically see the stream protruding from his ears.

"Where have you been?" He demanded furiously before I even had the chance to open my mouth.

"Getting a tour," I replied blandly, folding my arms and putting on my defensive, uncaring mask.

"I've been looking for you all damn day," dad hissed in frustration.

"Clearly not hard enough," I yawned slightly, pretending to be bored at this whole situation.

"Cara," dads voice was laced with warning, it was the epitome of a stern teacher voice. When I showed no signs of caring he let out a long considered sigh before continuing, "well you're here now so I'll make my announcement but this is far from over."

"Sure," I batted away easily. I'd already forgotten about this warnings, he wasn't a proper dad, he couldn't tell me what to do.

"Attention," dad turned his back on me and bellowed down the corridor, "I want all seniors here now."

In clusters, forty 17-18 year old boys appeared from their rooms all looking thoroughly interested in the scene which was to follow. I shifted uncomfortably under the amount of stares boring into me. I felt distinctly outnumbered, I'd never seen this many boys in such a small space.

"Jesus," I hissed under my breath as my gaze swept from face to gorgeous face of the wealthy, well-bred, well-dressed sons of millionaires. What the hell was I doing here?

"You've probably all heard that this is my daughter Cara, she'll be staying here until a better arrangement can be sorted out," dad began in a quiet voice but an authoritative tone that instantly had the focus of every boy in the room. I had to give it to him, he knew how to command attention. "She's staying at the room at the end of the hall, it's not an ideal arrangement but I expect everyone to act maturely and responsibly about this. New rules will have to be introduced, if Cara is in any room or if you're in hers the door must be open, this is non negotiable and if broken will have severe consequences," a slow murmur ran through out the hallway, " additionally, I want you all to treat Cara with the utmost respect just as I expect her to treat all of you. If I hear any different and believe me I always hear, there will be consequences."

I rolled my eyes, this whole thing was just so pompous and unnecessary, he was just using a lot of words to say something simple. Don't sleep with any of them and don't fight them or you'll be punished.

"Have I had myself clear?" A mumble of yes's and many nods came from everyone. Behind me Nico gave a mocking salute;

"Yes Sir."

"Cara, I'd like to talk to you for a minute," dad turned back to me as the boys quickly emptied out of the hallway now the show was over, all shooting furtive glances my way as if I couldn't catch them staring.

"Sure," I placed a hand on my hip and waited for him to speak.

"In private," dad nodded towards my room, with a huff of complaint I obliged and led him to my room. I flopped down on my bed as he shut the door behind us and mentally prepared myself for his wrath. "How are you Cara?"

I stared at him. What? I blinked a couple of times in surprise. Did he seriously just ask me how I was?

"Fine," the word came out automatically like a programmed response.

"I'm sorry we didn't get off on the right foot yesterday," that was the understatement of the century, "I want you to know that I'm sorry I haven't been a good dad to you all these years and I do want to make it up to you."