7. Understand me

"I can't believe you're making me do this," I shook my head as with surprising strength Grey helped me up through the tiny skylight.

"I'm not making you do anything," Grey laughed at my grumpy tone.

Once through the death trap that was the skylight I stared around. We were perched precariously on the side of the sloping roof. A few feet away from us I could see the roof cut off and plummet straight to the ground four storeys below.

"Jesus, are you trying to kill me?"

"You got me," Grey held his hands up guiltily.

"This is a death trap," I shook my head in disbelief.

"Isn't that part of the fun of it," I think Grey meant to sound joking but there was a serious tone to his voice. A steady grin tugged at my cheeks, finally someone who got me. Someone who understood the need to live on the edge as the fear made you feel something other than sadness.

"You're not even looking at the best part," Grey pointed straight up, I tilted my head back to look above me at the endless sky scattered with stars.

It was so beautiful it took my breath away. In Vegas the stars weren't visible so the only experience I had of them was through videos. It was amazing, I could've stared at it for hours and still felt like I hadn't seen enough of it.

"It's beautiful," I leant back on the roof so I was lying flat on the cool tiles, my gaze fixed on the stars above.

"I know," Grey chuckled.

"It's so peaceful, I feel like I could fall asleep."

"Please don't, otherwise you'll fall off the roof and die before I can kill you," his voice was so startlingly serious that I glanced over and seeing my shocked face Grey burst out laughing, "I'm kidding, calm down."

"Not funny," I playfully punched him in the arm.

"I heard you earlier," it just sprung out of Greys mouth and he bit his lip like he regretted blurting it out, "I heard you and your dad arguing. I think the whole floor did actually."

"Oops," I sighed, "I didn't mean to get so angry, I'm just so mad at him."

"I'm sorry," I glanced over at him surprised.

"For what?"

"Not getting to see your dad,"

"You don't have to be sorry, it's not your fault."

"My dad," Grey started slowly, "the last time I saw him I was seven, he left with another woman and I never heard from him again."

"I'm sorry," the words were out of my mouth before I'd realised what I'd done.

"You can't say that," Grey laughed breaking the seriousness of the situation, I instantly felt more comfortable as I laughed along with him, his baritone and my soprano blending together.

"If you don't mind me asking, who were you so angry at on the phone?" I asked cautiously and Grey stiffened instantly, it was a sore point.

"My stepdad," Grey replied stiffly, his voice taught as if even thinking of the person made him tense up, "he and I, ...," he paused hunting for the right words, "don't get along."

He wasn't telling me something, I couldn't tell what but I knew he was hiding something, it was as clear as the stars above us.

"Sounds a lot like me and my dad," I laughed in an attempt to brighten the mood, I wouldn't push the topic if he didn't want.