Chapter Twenty-One: Sneaking Around

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Isn't that a bit harsh? She's obviously into you." I told her.

"Ah, well, I never asked her to be."

"Not exactly how that works." I added.

"Besides," Sera said ignoring my comment. "it's not like I went out of my way intentionally trying to get her to like me. I was just being my usual self."

"The problem with that is that you only have two sides. Around us you're just an annoying bitch who nags. Around others you tend to be a bit of a flirt." Max spoke up.

"No I don't- wait, seriously?" Sera asked like she wasn't aware of it herself.

I nodded, "Oh, yeah. Definitely."

"Ahh, it'll be fine." Sera said waving us away with the back of her hand. "It's not like I'll see her again."

I frowned slightly. Sera had never been interested in relationships. I don't think I even remember her ever having a steady boyfriend or girlfriend. She's always been focused on me and the family. She's always put that first on her list. I forgot how cold Sera could be with others who she didn't care about.

"Did you forget? Mikhail and Nico are now, and I quote, exclusive. You'll probably be seeing a lot of Dan if Nico decides to drag all of us out." Max said.

"That reminds me." I snapped, "We're all going out on the night before New Years with Mikhail and his friends. I've already cleared it with Doc. As long as you don't move too much, Max, you should be fine." I smiled and leaned back into my chair, relaxed.

"What!" Both Max and Sera said at the same time.

"Why do we have to go? Wouldn't it be better if just you two went alone. It'll be really awkward for us to go." Max whined, "I don't want to!"

"I agree with Max on this one. How the hell am I supposed to let Dan down kindly when couples around us are going to be kissing after the New Years countdown?"

"Sounds like a you problem." I said with a grin and a shrug. "It's gonna be like a double.. triple... double? Date so it's fine." I tried convincing them. I seriously thought Max would have been more overjoyed to finally see Glasses. Then again, it was Max and he was probably more stubborn than Mikhail and I combined. As for Sera, I figured it would be better for her to just let Dan down sooner rather than later. Before the poor girl actually fell in love. She seems like the type to fall quickly and break harder. I just hoped their problems wouldn't seep over to Mikhail and I. As selfish as it may sound, things were finally moving forward for us. The last thing I wanted was Dan crying to Mikhail and then our alone time would be severely cut down.

"You always make decisions by yourself." Max said in a grumpy voice.

I reached over and pinched his cheek. He swatted away at my hand and I smiled mischievously at him."That's why I'm the boss. Quit being so grumpy. It'll be fun. It's nice to just let loose every once in a while before I actually turn the Head of the family. When that happens, we won't be able to just hang out as casually as before." I said trying to stay calm but, really, I was just a sentimental mess on the inside.

As soon as I became the Head everything would be different. I wouldn't be able to go out alone without guards. Everyone would speak very formal with me, which I hated. With Max, hopefully, going to school there was the possibility of him finding his true calling and leaving the Mafia. I knew I should be happy if that ever happened, he didn't belong with us in the first place, but I had a problem with people leaving my side. Especially with someone who is as close to me as Max. Of course, I would let him leave. He would be free to go and come as he pleased. He would probably take Glasses with him too if Glasses held his end of the deal and waited until Max graduated high school.