VII

Jonathan

I was in luck today. Louie, who'd been followed me all morning, had been called away. I didn't know why, but I didn't question it. I just shooed the cat away and left the parlor.

I stepped out from my hiding place slowly. The kitchen was clear, abandoned after lunch. I glanced around nervously and made my way across the floor to the back door.

"Going somewhere?"

Turning, I saw Louie walking towards me in the hall. The same hall that had been empty seconds before. Damn it! How had he found me so quickly?

A blur of orange fur crossed the floor and wove itself around my legs.

"Well?" Louie asked, coming closer. He wasn't much taller than I was, but he had more muscle and he knew how to use it. He'd been one of the wolves to catch me the first time I tried to escape.

I frowned at him and moved towards the fridge, like that'd been my goal all along. I pulled a bottle of water out of the fridge and threw another glare over my shoulder at him. He smiled at me.

"That's what I thought," he said.

I bent down and picked up the cat. I'd bet he'd found me by following the little devil. "I should skin you. A tiny fur rug would be nice," I mumbled.

She mewed at me before bumping her head against my chin. She'd been glued to my side all morning. I tried to ignore her at first, but it's hard to ignore a cat, especially when it curls up beside you, purring, just happy to be with you. It was even harder to stay mad at her.

I was afraid of what Kain would do to her if she got too close to me tonight. Maybe if I made sure she wasn't in my room when Kain claimed my body again. Hopefully, she'd have enough sense to stay clear of him.

I slipped the bottle of water in my pocket and, after another glance at Louie, headed down the hall towards the entryway. I couldn't hear him, but I felt his presence shadowing me.

I'd taken the first step on the staircase when the doorbell rang. I froze. In the week that I'd been here, I'd never heard it before. Everyone came and went as they wanted—except for me that is.

Lan stepped out of one of the side rooms and answered the door with a bow. Now that was strange. Lan didn't even bow to Michaela.

A man stepped inside, and Lan shut the door behind him. He didn't look like anything special. He wore a flannel jacket and jeans, but the deference that Lan showed him, he could have been the richest guy in the world.

I turned to Louie. His skin had paled, but he stood straighter and looked more alert and serious than he had a few minutes ago.

"Who's that?" I asked him. He jumped at my question.

"It's the Alpha," he whispered to me. When he saw I still didn't understand, he continued. "The original werewolf. The very first one of my kind. He's...like a god."

I turned back to find that both the Alpha and Lan were looking up at us. The Alpha stepped closer, and bowed to me. That wasn't right. Why would someone revered like a god show deference to me?

"Your highness," he said. His voice was deep, with a slight southern drawl. He glanced to Lan. "I see Michaela has been keeping secrets."

I stiffened as he called me "highness." None of this made sense. And what reason would he have to make fun of me? Why would he tease me like the younger wolves did?

Lan winced under the Alpha's glare. "I'm sure that's why she called you here to speak with you tonight."

The Alpha looked back at me. "Does he not speak?"

I still hadn't thought of anything to say, so I kept my mouth shut. The cat, however, hissed at him but quieted as Lan shot us a frown.

"The Prince is still adjusting to the daylight, Alpha. He was turned only days ago," Lan said. "He will be feeling more like himself this evening."

It was the first time Lan had ever called me "prince." Just what the hell was going on?

I've tried to tell you this before, Kain whispered to me. You can't hide from it. We are royalty. Don't you want to take advantage of that?

I struggled to keep my emotions straight. Royalty? What the hell had I missed?

A lot, hiding away like you do, Kain said, and flashed images in my mind. Images of the girls he'd fed on.

I winced, trying to mentally push them away. Kain laughed.

"Then we should let you rest," the Alpha said, and bowed to me again. "If you'll excuse us, your highness."

Louie bowed deeply, keeping his eyes lowered as Lan led the Alpha past the bottom of the stairs and down the hall.

What was going on?