6. Twenty-one questions

Start from the beginning

"Rose!" She squeals through the phone "No wonder you were talking so much about him yesterday. You knew he was going to ask me out!"

I smile, "He asked for your number. I'm not dumb. So you said yes?"

"Uh, Girl, of course, I did. I haven't had a date in ages and he is cah-ute."

"Keep an eye on that guy. And try not to make me a third-wheel, alright?"

"Nuh-uh. You'll never be a third-wheel. Cause' you'll probs end up dating, Peirce. Ooo"

"Oh, shut up." I laugh "I will not. That reminds me. I have to get ready for our date."

"DATE?!"

Whoops! the word slipped out of my tongue. "Um, I meant it in a friend date kind of way. You know, hanging out?"

"Aww. Rose and Peirce-y sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-"

I hang up before she finishes the teasing song. My cheeks are burning so much I run towards the bathroom to splash fresh cold water to calm myself down.

The nervousness of hanging out with Peirce eats me whole as I bike to his apartment. I've never hung out with him outside of school, let alone with the kind of person he is now: cold and distant. It's a stark difference from my bestie Mellissa, who could quickly fill my ears with two hundred words per minute and still have time to eat fries off my plate with ease.

Part of me hoped he eagerly waited for my arrival, fidgeting around at home, scrambling to look his best. Instead, I find him sitting outside on the set of stairs leading up to his apartment. He doesn't look excited at all. His chin is slumped onto his left fist in boredom.

I take the chance to stare at him a little. His bright blue eyes gaze at his headphones intently. I wish he would look at me too. He always rips his gaze away if he stares too long.

He's cut his hair shorter, bangs no longer fell over his forehead. The sleeves on his green t-shirt have been cut off, revealing bare arms I hadn't had the privilege to see. I look away, pushing those strange thoughts out of my mind.

I realize how much I love looking at him. Butterflies always fill my stomach and a rush swoons over me: a rush better than adrenaline.

I gather my thoughts and calm my boy-crazy side. After taking a deep breath, I dare call him

"Hey, Peirce!"

PEIRCE'S POV:

Rose stands in the middle of the street, waving like a crazy person. Gosh, does she want to get run over? I gesture to her to come to me. I don't want to witness any more deaths in this lifetime.

She rushes to me happily. I can only look back at her with no expression as I try my best to hold down the anger building up in me just at seeing her face.

I know she's here to take me out. I had been too anxious inside my apartment, so I sat out here, waiting for her. Yes, I actually waited on her. Only because staying in there, I would've taken something to calm down. Then, everything covered well inside me would surely spill out my mouth.

Rose takes a seat beside me on the steps, her leg touching mine. I scoot away quickly.

"Hey! I'm here for our first official day as friends. Trust me these two weeks will be awesome."

At that moment, my heart wanted to tell her to go away. I had better things to do than spend my whole winter break with her. Originally the plan was to spend the day high, then at night Landon would pick me up to hit up a special party down east where the fancy houses are.