Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Trying not to sound surprised, for it did nothing for his distinct personality, Erik simply said, "Christine," when he opened the door.

Christine blushed immediately feeling completely ridiculous for being where she was. "Erik, hi." Then, in a rush of words, she continued, "Oh man, I'm really sorry for coming here. I'm probably disturbing you, aren't I? You've got to be busy! Ok, I'm going to go-"

Before she could speak another word, Erik stopped her by saying, "How nice it is to see you. You are not 'bothering' me. Come in." He opened the door wider, his eyes glowing by her presence.

Christine walked in hesitantly. She'd never been to his house in a non-business setting. "I'm sorry for coming by like this."

"Please, do not say that. I enjoy your company. Now, come with me to the den, and I will make some tea."

Christine actually grinned at the mention of tea. Since the first time they met, Christine had a cup of tea every time she stepped foot in the apartment. But, she'd never been in his den before. She was shocked and thought herself foolish. Duh, the music room is not the only room in the apartment! Christine shook her head and followed him.

The den proved to be a gorgeous room. There were ornate book shelves, a beautiful fireplace, antique furniture, another piano, and a very interesting rug. Paintings ordained the walls, and there was a curio case with precious crystal and gold sculptures inside. Christine sat carefully on a couch and continued to admire the room until Erik came in.

"Here you are," Erik announced while handing her a cup of tea.

"Erik, this room is beautiful." Christine took a sip of her hot tea slowly.

"Thank you." To make conversation, Erik asked, "You like to read?" He knew she did. She nodded. "Well, you can borrow a book any time you please. I am quite fond of my compilation."

"Wow, thanks!" She smiled and continued to drink her tea feeling comfortable.

"Christine." She looked into Erik's eyes. "I do not want to pry, but I must know. Why are you here?"

"Oh!" She couldn't believe she had almost forgotten. Christine straightened preparing to tell him. "I just couldn't stand to be at home any longer. It's horrible! Mom won't come out of her room, Dad sits in the family room acting like he's afraid to confront her, and I just sit in my room staring at a wall. I can't take it anymore. I want to be around music." Christine was really thinking, I want to be around you, but she didn't say it. Before he could speak, she realized something and said, "Please, don't think that I'm using you as a way to get out! That's not it.." She then mumbled, "I just don't want to go anywhere else."

Erik couldn't help but smile. Her words were such a compliment. She feels like she can come here. That is exactly what I want. "You are welcome here any time, Christine."

"Thank you so much. It's so strange. I feel more comfortable here than I do anywhere else." She smiled sheepishly in his direction.

Jokingly, Erik replied, "Perhaps it is the company?"

Christine laughed. Erik loved the sound. "Yes, I think that's it." They sat in silence for a moment. "So, are you composing much lately?"

Erik glanced at her and then stood. He decided to flip a switch on the wall, which brought a cozy flame to the fireplace. "Yes, actually. It is a new piece for the violin."

The word, 'violin', definitely caught her attention. She adored the magnificent instrument. "Have you titled it?"

"Yes. It is, The Bloom in Winter." It was Erik's turn to become a bit embarrassed. What would she think of it?