XVIII.

Beyoncé.

Neither one of us could sit still. I felt like a horrible parent. Bringing your 1 year old daughter into the emergency room screaming 'she got shot! She got shot!' Earned us a lot of sideways stares.

The tears never stopped flowing from my eyes. I couldn't believe this was happening. All I want to hear right now was that my baby was going to be alright.

I couldn't seem to get my heart rate to slow down as I replayed the events over and over again in my mind.

*Moments before*

"THE NINE, BEY, THE NINE!" He yelled pointing at the glove box. My hands were so sweaty as I tried to pull it open. As soon as I got it opened, I moved all the papers around and found it.

"Here." I said handing it to him.

"Get the clip. Put the clip in. Hurry up." He rushed. I fished around for the clip and put it in the gun. "Grab the wheel!"

He took the gun and I took the wheel. "Jay, this isn't a good idea!" We had to shout in order to hear each other due to Peyton's screams.

"We can't take our daughter to the fucking hospital with them following us, Bey!" I focused my eyes on the streets, making sure we didn't crash.

Jay rolled the window down. "Make a left at this stop sign." We were literally at the stop sign when he said that. I quickly turned the corner, hearing the tires screech. He quietly counted to 3 and swung his body out the window and started shooting.

2 perfect shots later and the truck spun out of control. He sat back down breathing heavy. Everything was happening too fast for me. "Put this back." I did what he said and then climbed into the back seat. I unbuckled Peyton from her seat and held her.

"Hurry up, Jay!" I cried as I put pressure on her wound. "Stay with me, baby. You're a soldier, remember?"

"Carter?" We heard. We both turned around and went over to the woman. "Parents?" She asked.

"Yes." I nodded.

"Well, the bullet pierced your daughter's gallbladder and we had to remove it. However, that is the only internal organ that was affected as such. She will be okay. She will be in a lot of pain when the morphine wears off. And she may be very confused when she wakes up. Long term, she won't be able to eat certain things, I can have them send a list of things she can and can't have when she is discharged."

I let out a breath. "Thank you so much, can we see her."

"Yes, right this way." I grabbed Jay's hand and we followed the doctor to her room. She stepped to the side and let us in.

"Hey, beautiful." I smiled as tears welled up in my eyes. "It's going to be okay, mommy got you." I kissed her forehead and rubbed her face.

Jay watched quietly standing beside me. "You okay?" I asked him.

He nodded. "I'm so sorry, I never thought this would happen." He mumbled feeling sorry for himself.

"At least she's okay, Jay. We got her here in time."

He hugged me. "I love you so much."

"I love you too." He held me in his embrace as we both watched Peyton sleep.

There was an unexpected knock on the door causing us both to look toward the door. In walked an officer and a woman in a business suit. "Can we help y'all?" I asked.