xlv. DEFENCE (PART I)

Start from the beginning

"Yes. As well as ordinary people." You nodded at his response whilst striding forward towards the witness stand. You were maintaining your confidence. "Mr Barnes. I am your lawyer. I'm sure everyone here is perfectly capable of acknowledging that," You strode a bit closer before turning on your heel and walking closer to the jury. "Objection, Your Honour. They're stalling."

"Actually, Sir, I'm proving my case. If you could just allow me my moment." you snapped looking towards the sharply dressed man glaring at you as you stepped through the court room. "Objection overruled." You send a sharp, fake smile to prosecution as the Judge sides with you. "But I'd recommend you watch it, counsel." You nod politely, apologising to the Judge before continuing on.

"As I was saying. I am your lawyer Mr Barnes and that means my sole purpose is to make everyone here believe you are innocent. But that doesn't mean anything to anyone if it's not real. If it's not actually what you want me to say. Therefore, Mr Barnes, I want to ask you why you are pleading not guilty?"

Bucky inhales sharply. A tight lipped smile forms on his lips. "I-I um. I'm not guilty because none of that was me. I'm not The Winter Soldier. I'm James but y-you can call me Bucky," Bucky pauses, letting the jury chuckle softly at his joke and a smile even ghosts the judge's lips. "What I'm trying to say is... HYDRA made me someone I didn't want to be and- and I fought back. I tried, honestly. But 70 years. For 70 years I have ached for this freedom I didn't know existed. I- I don't want to be punished for something I didn't do. Don't get me wrong. I feel so bad. I practically cry myself to sleep at night and t-that's if I get any sleep, what with all the nightmares. But, what I want, is to redeem myself. I wanna be a hero. I want to help everyone I hurt. I just want that chance." Bucky's voice was in fragments. Like thick, sharp glass that was slicing apart everyone' s conscience.

Soft sniffles came from the direction of the jury, Steve and Sam were smiling softly from the spectator's seats and the entire courtroom was a stunned silence. The court reporter had nothing to type as the silence in the room was as loud as ever. You stood, proudly, now with true confidence as you looked on at Bucky with an almost loving gaze. "Counsel?" The Judge's voice snapped you out of your thoughts.

"Anything further?"

"No, Your Honour, nothing further."

"And prosecution?"

"Nothing further." With the desk parallel to yours in stunned silence, you sat back, sending a thumbs up to the man on the stand who could've just won your case.

-

A week or two later, you and Bucky were walking into the courthouse with Bucky to hear the judge's final verdict. The two of you rode in almost silence as you journeyed from your law firm to the courthouse, Bucky only ever acknowledging you were there when he instinctively put his arm out to stop you from flying forward when the car halted to a stop at the traffic lights. You appreciated the gesture and it actually made your stomach flutter and your palms sweat even though you replied with a mumble of a 'thanks' to which he shook his head. He was nervous and you couldn't blame him; you just don't think he realised you were nervous too.

It would be an understatement to say that you had developed a small, or maybe larger, crush on Bucky over the recent month and a half or so. Truthfully, you weren't quite ready for him to leave you, whichever way the verdict went.

"Doll, we're here." You looked to Bucky as he held the door open for you and peered a your figure, still looking out of the window of your company's sleek, black limousine. You didn't think it appropriate to comment on the nickname just yet, considering the solemn mood, but it did brighten your day ever so slightly.

When you exited the car, you spotted Steve and Sam waiting on the steps of the courthouse, trying to avoid the press. You began your walk to them when a hand grasped your elbow and held you closer to them. When you looked back, your face was much closer to Bucky than you'd expected it to be and you diverted your eyes from his, although his remained fixed on your facial features. He cleared his throat before letting you go. "I-um don't really wanna talk to the press. Can we stay here for a bit?"

You noticed how he emphasised the we, as he moved his body slightly closer to yours. Your mind was racing just as fast as your heart and you began to feel light headed. Your response was a simple nod that seemed to make him smile wider than you'd expected to see today. "I just wanted to ask..." His sentence trailed off and you didn't catch him quietly mumbling the end.

"What was that?"

"I was just thinking. If I get out of here a free person today, I would love to go for a coffee or some kind of beverage with you because I really like you but I didn't know how to tell you so...yeah?"

Bucky's tone came out with instant regret just as he finished his sentence. "When."

"Huh?"

"You'll be okay so don't say if. When I get out of here a free person today, I would like to get a coffee with you."

"You would? Great. Tell me what time to pick you up."

"Wait what I didn't-" Bucky doesn't let you finish your sentence and instead pulls your waist closer to his body and you stop talking as your eyes meeting his bright, blue ones. "As I- um, I was um-" You stuttered over all of your words as you tried to maintain your arrogance which was surprisingly difficult when your face was this close to his. "I d-don't know what you're doing, Mr Barnes."

"Call me that one more time."

"Mr Barnes?"

"Mhm-hm." Bucky murmured as he pressed his lips to yours. You noted how his lips were warm and soft. He was very gentle with the kiss and you felt his flesh hand run down your back, making your hairs stand. When he pulls away, you open your eyes hesitantly, afraid he'll regret what he's just done but instead he's smiling, content as he leans in again. But, unfortunately, this time you're interrupted by a whistle from quite a distance as Sam and Steve look on at the two of you.

"We should probably get into the courtroom." you laugh, as you look at Bucky's lips in a perfectly pink pout.

"Fine, let's go."