xxxiv. YOU'RE LATE

Bucky had a strange tendency to be late to things. You couldn't really blame him - being in and out of cryofreeze for 70 years is bound to make a 100 year old in a 27 year old's body feel a little out of time. To you, it wasn't too bad of a habit, though. Especially not on Bucky who got all cute and flustered when you told him that he was late. He is a gentleman after all and as he has said many times "being late to our date is not how a man should treat him dame" and he tried his best to abide by that.

However, when he didn't, you were sure to point it out.

"12 minutes is your new personal best. Well done." you laugh, as you see Bucky running quickly towards you to meet at the restaurant's wall that you had leant your back against.

"I'm sorry I got a bit tied up ... literally. It seems one of my memory gaps includes doing up a tie." He gestures to his messy tie which had been carelessly slung around his neck.

You laugh and begin to fix his tie. He looks down at you while you do so and his smile in return seems relived that you're not mad at him, as he suspected you might have been.

-

"You're late even after I told you a time 30 minutes in advance to when we're supposed to be here."

"Why would you do that?"

"Because you're always late ." You press the present you had neatly wrapped into Bucky's chest and he takes the gift in his hand and flattens the bow before ringing the bell by the door.

"Which of Clint's kid's birthday is it?"

"Guess we'll find out when we get in there."

-

"You're late, Barnes. I could've died."

"From playing laser tag?"

"It gets intense."

Bucky rolls his eyes at you but can't help keeping the loving smile off of his face as he looks at you under the lights of the arcade.

"Also, I thought of some strategy plans, to make it up to you." Bucky offers, pressing a light kiss to your cheek as you get suited up.

Let's just say the two of you are still reigning champions against the rest of the Avengers.

-

"You're early?" you question as you arrive at the table of your favourite restaurant to see Bucky sitting down in his seat. He stands, quickly, and pulls
your seat out for you but you only stare at him in amazement.

"What's the occasion that made you so early?"

"Date night with the love of my life. What else?" You roll your eyes at Bucky's cheesiness but you feel your cheeks heat up against your will.

"There is another thing, actually." You notice how nervous Bucky is and how he avoids eye contact so you gesture for him to continue.

"I have something I want to ask you." With that, Bucky pulls a small box from his pocket and stands from his seat before getting down on one knee. You almost choke on your drink and you feel slightly sick the whole way through Bucky's speech in which he professes his love to you.

"So, will you marry me?"

"Yes- Yes of course." you stumble and he smiles the largest you've ever seen him smile before. You hadn't noticed that the rest of the restaurant was watching until they all began clapping and you laugh, slightly embarrassed.

"You better not be late to our wedding."

"Wouldn't dream of it, fiancée."