xxiv. THE BABY

You and Bucky stood patiently outside of Nat's door waiting for her to open it. It was safe to say that you were confused at her vague message that read:

Emergency. Not life or death. But still an emergency. Come quick :)

- Nat

You and Bucky speculated what you thought her emergency could be on the way but you were both deemed utterly wrong when Nat opened the door, holding a baby.

"Dear god woman, when did you give birth." You teased, obviously knowing this baby wasn't her own. Bucky, however, didn't grasp that. "Wait were you pregnant and I didn't notice because I think I've elbowed you in the stomach a lot whilst we were training."

"No, Bucky. It's not mine. Fury left it with me." Bucky nodded understandingly as he searched through the fridge and kept his distance from the child.

You took the baby into your arms and it nuzzled your chest. "Her name is (B/N) , apparently and she's not got any parents or family left." You looked at Nat in confusion, asking her to elaborate whilst gently swaying the baby. "Killed in action."

You sighed looking at the baby. It was tragic but it happened more often than not when it came to S.H.I.E.L.D agent parents.

"Well I like her so how about we take care of her as best we can." You smiled and Bucky sighed heavily. "Something wrong, Buck?"

"D-do I have to help?" He was clearly unusually scared and you'd rarely seen him like this. "Not if you don't want to I guess. Why?"

"I don't want to hurt her." he mumbled, softly, raising his metal arm. You smiled at him sympathetically before walking towards him and extending his hands for you to take the baby.

He shook his head frantically but you kept the baby close to him. "Lemme show you how to hold her."

You placed the baby in Bucky's human arm, which she fit into with ease before carefully positioning his metal arm under her. "Hey, look I did it." Bucky grinned happily as he began to gently caress the baby.

"Yeah you did, babe. Nice work."

"You two look like happy parents, holding that baby together." Nat smirked before leaving the room. Your cheeks heated as your hand left Bucky's and his grin fell to an awkward tight lipped smile.

"I do think we'd be pretty good at this though."

"Was that supposed to be some kind of pick up line?"

"Maybe it was, doll."