Chapter 10- Escape and Capture

Start from the beginning

"You know who I am," I said, my lips turning upwards into a smile.

He bared his teeth at me, a snarl escaping his lips. 

"I thwarted you once before, all those years ago," I whispered, stepping forwards those last crucial steps, bringing us face to face.

"Luck," he hissed.

"No," I said, "more than that. I am the heir of Merlin, hand picked by him. I am a Dragon Lord, at my call Dragons will descend to protect me. I am the Powerful One and all that the title entails. I am the one who will be the releasor of all that is good and righteous. I may not be your downfall, Riddle, but he who is, is coming."

"Nothing will defeat me! No man, no woman, no child! No creature of the night!"

"You are wrong!" I shouted at him, our faces inches away.

"I am never wrong," he hissed.

I felt my language change easily into the Old Tongue.

"All that is night, all that is day," I chanted, the words coming to me easily now, but from where I didn't know, "He will bring you to your knees, so you had better pray, the dying of the sun, the blood red moon, there shall be your downfall."

I could see that about the room, the rasped language was setting into their bones, the words they couldn't understand making them shudder and shaking them to their very cores. I even saw the flicker of uncertainty in Voldemort's face.

"You curse my master?" came a hissed voice. 

I turned and looked down at Nagini, who now spoke to me in the Old Tongue.

"It is a curse that falls upon you also," I said to her, "your downfall comes also on the day your master dies."

"Enough!" screamed Voldemort, "I don't know what you have said, I do not care! But the challenge you have set me gives me no choice but to-"

"No, Riddle! Do you not understand?" I turned to him, my eyes ablaze, "I challenged you to catch me if you could. You couldn't, you didn't even attempt to come after me yourself. Under those grounds you can not even harm me because of that challenge. The wand you are using wouldn't even permit it!"

I remembered back years ago in a book from the restricted section on Wand Lore. No wand would alow harm to come to someone who has challenged it's master when the challenge has not been met. They considered it cheating and un-just. And so, I was certain I was safe. It was also written in several journals about the correct rules of engagement of battle and challenges. 

"You are a coward," I hissed at him, turning on my heal and begining to stride from the room.

"I am not a coward!" he screamed, "Avarda Kedarva!"

Nothing happened, no green flash. Nothing. I was right. He let out a loud, long scream and I laughed in both relief and malevolence. I could feel my body shift as I approached the front doors, my body twisting into my Animagi form. The doors flung open at my approach and I spread my wings. I heard footsteps pound after me as I took off into the sky and a sentence screamed after me.

"I will find you, Caramela Wincroft, where ever you go!"

I laughed and flew into the sky. Spells were shot after me but they rebounded off of my fur. Higher I soared, above the clouds, away from their eyes. I planed to fly across to France, then go across land, Eastwards, to Romania. I began to fly a little lower after a while, trying to find my way by eye, not wanting to cast She just yet. That's when I felt someone watching me, the fur on the back of my neck raising a little. I turned in mid-air and saw someone flying towards me, looking like a giant bat. I hissed and flew upwards, trying to loose them in some thick cloud cover. I dodged and span, exiting the clouds covered in condensation and still not entirely sure I lost them. I beat my great wings quickly, forcing myself onwards, not looking at where I was going. I flew for hours and didn't see the man again, so I assumed I was in the clear. But, unfortunately for me, I was now totally lost. I came lower, looking at the mountains that surrounded me, lakes down below and great rivers coursing through the peaks, carving their way ever deeper into the landscape. Everything looked so green and fresh, even in the over cast sky and the slight drizzle. I flew lower now, winding my way through the peaks carelessly, I was too tired to go much further. When I flew around the final peak, I saw it nestled there, the Castle. I'd unconsciously come home. I flew a little lower, my armour that was still over me clanking a little as I did. 

"Wow," I whispered to myself as I came in for a landing at the side eof the Lake.

I looked up at the Castle, across the dark waters. It was as impressive and brilliant as I remember it that first time the boats took us across late that cold night, the stars winking down at us and the lanterns guiding us through the gloom. 

I shook myself from my memories and changed my form, then tapped the centre of the breast plate with my wand tip, making it retract back into a necklace. I shouldn't be here, really, it was too dangerous. I turned to go away from Hogwarts and found myself standing before the great White Tomb. I fell to my knees in its presence, feeling tears slip down my cheeks with renewed greif. I felt something other thank grief well inside of me and I stood, my teeth gritted together, anger now making the tears come quicker.

"You stupid old man!" I shouted at the white marble.

My voice echoed around the mountains and across the grounds, but I didn't care if I was heard.

"You could have stopped all of this! You knew what was coming! But no, you had to do things by the books! There were other ways!"

The marble stayed silent and this somehow offended me. 

"You're just a foolish man! That's all you ever will be! You could have stopped this! I wouldn't have to suffer like this, my babies hundreds of miles from me! My loved ones don't know if I'm safe! This world is suffering, you could have stopped it, but no! You had to die! You went to your death like a good little lamb!"

I turned away, throwing my hands up in anger, then span back around and shouting again. 

"It was always about Harry," I bellowed, "always! Never once did you think that I was worth pushing, not once! I was just your runner. You never thought I was anything special! But now, now I'm more than Harry Potter himself! Just because I'm a girl!"

I let out an angry scream and fell to my knees again. I was friendless and alone, fighting something that was so much bigger than me. Tears flowed from my eyes, the grief of being away from my loved ones now getting to me entirely. I was so alone.

No, said a little voice in the back of my mind, a memory, You are not alone... You never were...

I stood, wiping the tears from my face angrily. I had to go from here, I would go to the Were wolves, I had to keep moving. I swallowed my fear of the un-known and picked up my bag from where it had fallen. That's when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I span around, coming face to face with a gaunt, sallow skinned face, framed with greasy black hair and black eyes. The corner of his lips tipped upwards to me. I felt cold fear curl in my stomach, surely he wouldn't hurt me?

"Miss. Wincroft," he said in his cold voice, "If you would accompany me back up to the Castle?"

I tried to shrug his hand off my shoulder, but his grip had tightened. I felt a pressure on my stomach and looked down to see his wand pointing upwards, towards my heart. I felt my breath catch in my throat.

"Let me go," I hissed at him.

"I'm sorry, Caramella," he said in a manor that meant he really wasn't, "but this is the only place you'll be safe."

"No!" I howled, struggling to get away from his vice like grip.

"Sorry," he said.

The world went black and all I could think was I have to get away... 

What do you think?