Chapter 24- Home Again

The celebrations came in the form of a feast, beneath the small slither of the growing moon. I sat in pride of place through the insistence of Levicie, laughing and joking. The encampment was the fullest it had ever been, filled with magical beings and students of Durmstrang, all co-existing in harmony. It filled me with hope. 

Levicie slipped his hand into mine and I glanced at him. He just smiled a little and continued to converse with Buck. I sighed and spoke to Krumb, just letting myself relax before we had to leave. 

I woke up the next day, Levicie wrapped around me. I felt something foul burning in my stomach and I detangled myself, staggering out of the tent and into the woods a little way, throwing up onto the ground violently. I wiped my mouth and straightened up, feeling myself turning cold. 

This had happened before. In the Gryfindor common room, with Ron at my side.

I knew, with a horrible certainty. I looked down at myself, seeing I'd gotten a little fatter. My breath caught in my throat and I threw up again. 

Bloody hell.

"Caramela?" said Levicie coming up behind me.

"Piss off," I hissed.

"Are you ill? Was it something you ate last night?"

"No, go away!" I hissed.

"Caramela?"

I turned and glared at him, tears in my eyes.

"This is your fault," I growled.

"What?" 

"THIS IS YOUR FAULT!"

He backed away a little, seeming to shrink.

"What did I do?" he asked.

I turned away, angrily wiping away the tears. 

"I'm going to fly," I said over my shoulder, "if I'm not back by noon, go without me. You can do that, right?"

He nodded nervously and I began to run back into the camp and as soon as I broke the edge of the trees I changed my form and let my wings catch the wind. I soared up into the air, only feeling a little of the elation that flight brought me. 

I thought deeply as I flew aimlessly. What did I want now? If I was right about this, then could I go back to Fred? Would he accept me? Would I be able to go into battle knowing that it may not be just me that I'm putting in danger?

Perhaps I shouldn't tell anyone before the battle. Perhaps I should go in, fight, survive, then talk to Fred afterwards. If there was an afterwards for either of us. If I failed, he would die and I would never have told him. 

I spent hours in the air, not thinking, just flying, letting the chill air wash through me and wipe away all thoughts and feelings. It was a while before I realised where I was and I almost fell out of the sky in shock. Bellow me lay the grounds of Hogwarts, sprawling out with the forest and the lake. And the tomb. 

I circled the castle, drinking it all in. Bellow me I could see students moving around, teachers escorting them. The castle was the same, but the feeling was different. But still, I was home. I'd come home. This was a safe place.

I flew to the tallest tower, changing my form so only my wings remained, landing carefully on the window ledge. I peered into the headmaster's office, seeing no-one around. I tried to open the window, but found it charmed shut. I sighed and put my palm against it, streaming magic into the frame, until it opened for me. I slipped into the room retracting my wings and looked around the walls. The portraits of the old headmasters were all dozing in their frames, save but one, behind the desk.