Chapter 4- Death Eaters in New Look

The following day I packed my things and prepared to leave. Fred sat with me as I did so all morning, watching me and joking with me, sometimes even helping- when the mood struck him. I cared for the babies and then sat beside Fred on the bed with a sigh. He took me in his arms and held me close to himself, it was so comforting and I felt safe. When mid-day came around the Burrow was a hive of activity, members of the order came and went via the flu-network, preparing for what was going to happen this evening. It was time for me to go. I went down the stairs to the living room, Fred carrying Fafnir and Fawn behind me. I said my farewells to those that were there, then went to the garden and changed my form, instructing Fred to attach the babies to me.

"Be careful," I said to him when I was ready, "protect any you can, including yourself."

"It'll be alright," said Fred, "the Death Eaters don't know we're moving him tonight."

I desperately wanted to warn him, but I knew I couldn't.

"Be safe, my love," I said, taking him in one of my great fore-paws.

"And you. I'll come for you when it's safe to come back."

"I love you," I murmured.

"I love you too," he breathed.

He kissed both the babies heads and then I took a couple of steps back.

"Videre non," I said softly and we shimmered from vision.

I took off into the air and soared high above the clouds, then cast She to guide me to Diagon alley. We got there in half an hour and so I flew down lower, just coming from the clouds. I touched down in the center of the road and took a sharp intake of breath. Voldemort hadn't yet taken over, but it was evident it wouldn't take much. Many of the shops were boarded up now and there were fewer people here, those that were kept their eyes on the ground and hurried around. I stood for a moment, watching in horror, then She looked to me and I nodded to her to continue. I followed her along until we came to the joke shop which was bright and vibrant, but it was closed for the moment whilst the twins were away. I flew up to the  window that led to their apartment and with a flick of my paw the window opened and I squeezed through. I touched down on the red carpet and changed back, shimmering back into vision, then closing and locking the window, closing the curtains behind me. I placed the babies down and then with a flick of my wand the lights came on.

It was obvious that the apartment belonged to a pair of young men because of the dirty washing sitting by the machine, empty boxes from fast-food places over the surfaces and their experimental things littering every available surface. This was not a safe place for babies. I conjured up some boxes and with a flick of my wand the experiments flew into them, then into a cupboard. With another flick the fast food boxes went into the bin and the bin emptied in a flash. I opened my bag and dug deep inside it, pulling out the cots and setting them out in the centre of the rather large living room. I put the babies in them and went around the apartment baby proofing it and cleaning everything with a flick of my wand. Eventually everything was spotless, the washing machine was going and the babies were fed and sleeping. I sat down on the leather sofa and sighed. I laid down and fell asleep.

I was in Hogwarts castle again, my heart pounding in my chest and not knowing why I was here. There was a noise to my left and so I turned, but nothing was there. I was so scared, so I ran onwards towards the Great Hall, my feet pounding on the flagstones. The whole castle had seemed so silent until now, when I could hear sobs and wailing coming from the Great Hall. I stood in the doorway to the Hall and looked in on those gathered there. On the floor were mats that had lumps on them covered by blue sheets. I realised, after a moment, that they were bodies beneath the sheets. There were people standing around and their faces seemed surreal and far off. I noted Slughorn amongst them, caring for wounded with Madam Pomfrey and Mc Gonagal. I saw the red headed Weasley's standing together around a mound along with Harry. Harry turned towards me and raised his arm and pointed his finger towards me, accusing me, his eyes glassy. The Weasley's turned, raising their fingers to point at me too. All those standing in the hall turned to face me and raised their fingers too, their faces blank. All at once, a crescendo of voices began to talk, but none of the lips of the living moved, but beneath the sheets I could see the faces of the dead speaking.