Chapter 1

I lay silently on my bed, reading a Nancy Drew book. I just love books that have to do with resolving mysteries. There's something about putting many pieces together and finally resolving a crime that fascinates me. Maybe it's because it satisfies my curiosity or maybe it's just the thrill of it that I enjoy. Whatever it is, I will be doing that someday, I promise to myself. Just like my dad. He works for the CIA and I love hearing him talk about his work.

Outside, the rain hits the windows of my bedroom. I love the sound of rain, it's so calming. I put my book down and get up from my bed. I walk to the window and look outside. The sky is gray and it's pouring pretty hard. I look down and see people walking in the streets. Some are walking fast or running to escape the rain. A car passes by a woman who is walking on the footpath and splashes her with water. She yells and displays an angry expression on her face. I smile and shake my head.

"Zara! Look at what I got you" exclaims a cheerful voice

I turn around and see Crystel holding a box of pizza in her hand. Her gray hoodie is soaked from the rain. She has a huge smile plastered on her face because she knows I love pizza.

"Oh Crys! Thanks!" I exclaim, wrapping my arms around her. I quickly pull away, realizing she's wet. We giggle. "You're the best" I say.

Crystel smiles as she lays the pizza box on the bed. She removes her hoodie and puts it on my desk's chair. "I know" she says as she jumps on my bed, pulling the blanket over her. "I'm freezing. And starving. Let's watch a movie while we eat"

I nod. I turn the Tv on which is attached to the wall in front of my bed and open the Netflix app. My parents didn't want to get me one first because they were afraid that I'd stay in my room all day watching movies, but I pleaded them enough to convince them. "You choose the movie", I say throwing the Tv remote at Crystel who catches it with her right arm.

Crystel is my bestfriend since fourth grade. We became friends when our teacher had paired us for a science project and we had to meet each other to work on it. We immediatly connected and now we have a really strong bond. We're now both in our first year of college. I'm studying in the psychology field and Crystel is doing buisness, which I find that is cool but risky for many reasons. "Where is the cold drink?" I ask her.

Crystel doesn't tear her eyes off the Tv screen. She scrolls down the different movies with a bored expression on her face. "I figured you'd have some" she says.

I sigh. "Right." I walk out of the room and go downstairs. The kitchen is empty. Mom and Dad are probably in their room, even though it's only 10 pm and Jack is probably out with his friends, as usual. He's barely ever home. It used to bother me at first because I missed him, but I guess I'm used to it now. I walk to the fridge and open the door, scanning what's inside. I pick out a Pepsi bottle and grab two glasses from the cupboard before climbing up the stairs.

"I picked a movie" Crystel tells me as I enter the room.

I look up at the screen and groan. The Notebook. Really? As if watching couples literally eat each other up at college isn't enough to make us cry about our single lives. Plus, we've watched that movie at least a dozen times. Crystel is a huge fan of romantic dramas, which I despise. "That's just depressing" I say, rolling my eyes. I jump in bed, squeezing beside Crystel and pull the blanket over us. "Let me choose the movie" I say as I pull the remote out of Crystal's hand and select the Crime section.

Crystel groans. "You must be the descendant of Sherlock Holmes. Jeez."

I smile as I play a movie I picked from the Crime section. "Trust me, this is going to be way more fun than the smoochey smoochey scenes in the Notebook". Crystel groans and opens the pizza box.

This is my first upload on Wattpad. I just uploaded the first Chapter of the story. Please let me know how you find it. I'm planning on uploading some more chapters, but I'd like to know your first impressions/comments. Thank you!

Yousra :)