Germania Mochi

There's nothing like getting in a saddle to make all of your stress and problems melt away. Horseback riding has been something you've been doing since you were just a little kid, and it's something you're really good at. It doesn't matter so much that you're not great at algebra, or that biology isn't your forte. As long as you have horses, you'll be happy.

This talent of yours is what lead you to end up working at a horse ranch on weekends, and it's been the best job you could have asked for. You spend hours feeding, grooming, petting, and riding horses. You've gotten to know each horse on the ranch and their unique personality.

The ranch is where you find yourself today, and you're currently leading a dark gray mare back to her stall after a quick little romp. She nuzzles you playfully as the two of you enter the large barn where the other horses are kept.

"Yeah, yeah, Bluebell. I'd love to stay with you longer, but there are other horses than need exercise too you know."

The horse just snorts at your comment and follows you obediently into her stall. You take the saddle of the mare's back and set it aside to put away later. The rest of her gear comes off easily as well, and you hang it on the special hooks made just for the different riding items. You gather the leather saddle up in your arms and exit the stall to put it away.

After finishing your chore, you walk back to give Bluebell a thorough grooming. You're surprised to see an odd white object sitting on the stall door. It definitely wasn't there when you left, and you wonder if one of the other stable hands had put it there while you were gone. You shrug away the thought and reach out to move whatever it is.

The last thing you were expecting was for the thing to grunt at you. Yes, grunt. You quickly move your hand away as the thing turns to glare at you with narrowed blue eyes. A thin blonde braid hangs down its side and threatens to fall into its eyes, but somehow doesn't.

"Who- What are you?" you ask curiously.

"Hmph," it grunts and turns around.

You're too stunned to react at first, but it's rudeness ticks you off. "Hey! I asked you a question!"

It looks back at you again with those intense blue eyes. You're almost intimidated by them, but you remind yourself that you're at least ten times bigger than it. "Germania Mochi," he rumbles in a low voice.

"So you can talk," you say in amazement.

"Ehmm." The mochi turns away from you once more.

"You're not a talkative one, are you?"

"Conversation is pointless," he answers. "Action is what matters."

"Not a very positive one either..."

"You talk far too much, just like that rambling fool. Always going on and on about women and food. It gives me a headache just thinking about it."

You have no idea what he's going on about, but it seems to make him pretty upset to think about. "Look, I need to finish with Bluebell here, so if you don't mind, I'm going to open the door."

The stall door swings open with a slight squeak, and the mochi teeters at the unexpected movement. He loses his balance and falls into your open arms. "H-hermph," Germania Mochi grunts as a blush covers his scowling face.

"I'll take that as a thank you," you say as you carefully set him on a sturdy ledge. You reach for the brushes on a different shelf to begin grooming the gray mare.

The only sound for a long time is the soft swoosh of the brush smoothing the horse's hair. You almost forget about the scowling mochi as you become more and more absorbed in your task. This and riding are your favorite part of being with horses. There's something comforting about knowing that such a strong animal relies on someone like you to stay healthy.

"They're wonderful creatures."

"What?" You look up at Germania Mochi, who is watching you closely.

"Horses," he clarifies. "Loyal and true. Can't go wrong with a horse."

"Really?" you say with a smile as you go back to brushing the gray mare. "I'll have you know Bluebell here can be quite the prankster sometimes. She gives me a lot of trouble."

"I never said they were easily managed," he shoots back with an air of lightheartedness. It's the most relaxed you've seen the mochi yet.

"There's more truth to that than you know," you mumble under your breath.

The horse's coat gleams in the dim light of the stall, and you run your hand down her silky neck. She snorts appreciatively and nudges your hand with her wide nose. You pet her long face with a soft laugh and make quiet cooing noises. The mare rolls her eyes but doesn't object. You continue this for a while without realizing that Germania Mochi is watching you very intently. A faint smile tugs on the corner of his lips, but he quickly hides it.

"Alright, let's go," you say once you're done giving Bluebell attention. You turn to the mochi and take him down from the ledge.

"W-what? Where are we going?" he asks gruffly.

"There are other horses to take care of," you explain. "You're better company than the horses, for the most part, so you're coming with me."

You continue toward a different stall with Germania Mochi snuggled in you arms. It takes you a minute to realize he didn't reply with his usual grunt, and you look down to see what could be the matter. The thing that catches your eye most is the deep red blush that colors the mochi's cheeks. You can't help but smile at that.