❌29- Persephone's Pension❌

The Prometheus Society is located in a corporate building. A pretty large one, at that. How the hell did I never notice it?

We shoved the dark doors open in front of us, my coat the first thing I removed. I pulled it over my back, pace steady with my heartbeat as I tossed it to Yuu, who in turn pulled it on. I fixed my sunglasses as my vision adjusted to the indoor lighting, steady march that was fast if compared to my poor partner halting. A receptionist stopped typing at her marble desk to glance up at us, computer showing security screens of a bank. Even she was doing black market work.

She glanced to Yuu over my shoulder, confused for a second. Then they cleared with obvious shock, which didn't last long lest someone see through her facade of sternness.

"Beast, you should know where to go. But hurry. Persephone's getting impatient," she said in a flat voice.

"Is that even possible?" Yuu asked jokingly. She resumed typing, giving him a look.

"Yes. She gets like that quite often, and I'm sure you two are almost always the cause."

"Ouch," Yuu muttered to himself as I led him off, Hyacinth instructing me to the elevator. I laughed once we were inside, my program taking over the camera within. I looked at him through my sunglasses (improvisation for our goggles during the day), raising my brows.

"It's procedure in the Society to keep all emotions hidden. Another reason why I hated you and why Sombra being so powerful appalls me," I explained. We leaned against opposite walls of the elevator.

"I feel like I'm being watched," he mumbled quietly so no one but me could hear.

"You are. Don't worry, it's not someone dangerous."

My words didn't comfort him.

Sombra's office was labeled under her second Alias, Persephone. We didn't have to knock, the door already opening to reveal a pitch black room.

"Ghost, step to the left. There's a computer chip on your right that shouldn't be touched," a voice said from all around us. "Oh, don't look so shocked. I can't be at my office today. Like your boyfriend, I have a job that won't get me arrested or killed."

"Sombra, will you allow the HYACINTH program to enter?" A cool and collected voice said, much similar to Hyacinth's. This one was more serious in tone, though.

"Of course, Olympia. Just don't destroy your sister program and vice versa, 'Kay?"

"They can't do that," a physical voice exasperatedly sighed from the desk at the end of the room. "Their programming is made so that both can exist at the same time. Omission didn't want me killing off the virus she worked so hard on."

"What-" Yuu cut me off by placing a hand over my mouth, his hand fumbling on the wall until he found a switch.

"I'll assume that you three are a-okay for now? My daughter is crying in the other room over a dropped Enchilada and I have to soothe her."

"Soothing is unnecessary," Olympia's monotone voice said.

"Of course it is," the strange woman at the desk snapped. But it wasn't an angered type. More... playful.

"Enchiladas are extremely important to the mind and body," Yuu said seriously. I elbowed him, getting a laughing yelp in response. Sombra cut out of the chat, Hyacinth's electrical hum entering my ears.

The woman at the desk wore black formal attire, her entire face covered currently by a full-face masquerade mask. Her black hair was cropped short and currently pulled from her face, hands typing on two respective keyboards at once. She grinned at us (I assumed), nodding deeply. "That they are, Ghost."

"You're Pension," I said after a moment of realization.

"Duh. Who else would know that Hyacinth and Olympia cannot infect the other's softwares? Not Omission, that's for sure. Poor girl's been dead for years." There was a sadness behind Pensions words that Yuu didn't notice, too busy piecing together his own puzzle.

"You came back to the S-"

"Yes, I came back to the San Diego HQ purely to speak with you two. Sit," she ordered, gesturing to the leather seats in front of her. We obeyed, maneuvering through the pieces of electronics, Yuu doing it quite possibly out of fear. I did it because he did.

"You're the first couple to exist in this organization, you know."

"Obviously," I sighed. "Although we did try killing each other for the first few months of knowing one another."

"Every relationship's got its ups and downs. Like, for instance, my husband not entirely understanding that I can't entirely leave the Black Market yet. Can't tell him shit about that," she lightheartedly said.

"You're avoiding the subject of this meeting." Yuu spoke up for the first time in a while, his hand resting on the table. The other was clenched into a fist.

"Ah, I am. Hold on a sec, I almost got these guys to pay the ransom." We were silent from then on, Pension typing madly with both hands. I took Yuu's stiff right hand that was clammy from anxiety, rubbing the palm of his hand with my thumb beneath the peering eye of the woman in front of us. He sighed in relief, hand twitching in response to my strange way of soothing him.

"Got it. Can't believe they actually payed me ten thousand dollars. Okay, stop being gay for like five seconds," our hands instantly dropped. "You were called here because of a performance check, but I know you guys are doing great if the mighty Beast is still eating his frozen meals. By the way, those are horrible for you and I'm ashamed no one's stepped up to cook for you yet. So I wanted to discuss Alyssum."

"You mean the cynical arsonist that's taking up our territory?" Yuu asked bitterly. She laughed, a sound that reminded me of Hyacinth, oddly enough.

"Yes, him. He's doing some great job but he's foolish and blinded by unyielding love. Probably unrelated but Beast, he's been leaving you gifts, correct?"

"That's true. I do not fear for my safety, but I fear my identity."

"Although it is kinda creepy, I wouldn't worry about it for too long. It's his way of sending messages. He is dangerous to you, however," she said, pointing to Yuu. He looked taken aback for a moment before laughing hysterically.

"Really? To me? I don't think he would harm me."

"Why not?" Pension purred.

Yuu froze, meeting her glinting eyes. They shared a silent conversation before he spoke.

"As long as I am with the Beast and as he cares about me, Alyssum will not harm me."

"And how have you come to that conclusion?"

"I won't say it in front of him."

"Can you blame me for trying?" Pension sighed, eyeing me carefully. "I really hate hiding things from him. And so do you."

"I'm sure you've hidden many things from him," Yuu mumbled at my side. It was like a mother scolding a child in a cunning way, the more I watched.

"The Prometheus Society relies on effectiveness. Not truth or loyalty. Beast, you should know that more than all of us, correct?" She asked, turning her head to me.

"Of course. 'You are a valuable asset to us. Do well and wealth will be yours'," I quoted the man that hired me to this life. "You accept my terms, and I happily oblige."

"Good. Oh, we.'re out of time. Bye! Don't forget that Sombra isn't who she seems!" Pension said, shooing us out.

"What?"

"You heard me, don't forget that you have a job tonight!" She lied with a grin. Hyacinth's presence returned to my ear.

"Persephone had entered the cameras at that last part. Olympia gave me a word of warning but it would be suspicious if I were to have left so early," she explained calmly. "I do not know what she meant by that, but do the same as you always do."

"Follow your heart."