Adventure

"Every adventure requires a first step"

Touring the campus of Alnwick Academy didn't take long. In fact, it boiled down to Adeline walking me out into the main road on campus, both of us standing smack dab in the middle, and her pointing out what she seemed to be "important places." As a whole, these boiled down to three things. 1. The place where most of the students go when they want to smoke. 2. The place where most kids go when they want to drink, and 3. The place where they go when they want to fuck, all conveniently located within a twenty square foot area.

I had commented about that being amazingly disgusting, and Adeline had informed me that it probably wasn't the most disgusting thing that happened at the school, at least in its entire history anyway.

We ended up in the bleachers around the football field, Adeline leaning against the back of the bleacher behind us, sucking on the cigarette that she had pulled out of a pack moments ago. I had rejected her offer to take one, which she didn't seem too offended about before she lit her own up.

"So, is there anything else I should know about the school?" I questioned, hoping that maybe Adeline had some sort of insider's knowledge about the events in the area, the murders that I was here to check out.

Adeline cocked a brow at me over her fingers, smirking despite the fact that she kept the cancerous stick tucked firmly between her lips. "Well, that depends on what you want to know." She said as she removed the cigarette from her mouth, blowing the smoke out into the chilly air. I momentarily wondered how in the world she was sitting there with just a t-shirt on, before I decided my questions were more important to think about. Jumping into the murders would be pretty obvious, I had to ease into it.

"So, what's the creepiest place on campus?" I asked. "I heard this place used to be an Asylum. Any fucked up remnants of that history around?" As though she had been waiting for that question, a grin slowly spread across Adeline's features, a spark shining in her eyes.

"Oh hell yeah there's some creepy shit still around." Adeline leant forward, put her cigarette out on the bleacher, and stood up. "C'mon, I'll show you." Without hesitation, I stood up and followed Adeline to whatever sort of creepy display she had in mind for me.
What the so called "creepy shit" ended up being was a house, an old one, granted, but still a house. It looked Victorian in age, if not older, with its pillared front visage, and towering three story frame that had been overtaken by ivy and weeds. The windows, at least the ones that I could see from the front, we're all busted out, the glass shards still in their places looking like jagged teeth in a myriad of mouths.

"Oh, a house." I muttered "yeah, that's real creepy, remind me to never ask what your definition of terrifying is." Adeline chuckled, glanced over at me. "Is that the faintest bit of humor I detect?" I rolled my eyes, and told her to be quiet.

"Aw, just like that, it's gone." Adeline flicked her cigarette away to accentuate her point. "Yeah," she said as she shoved her heads into her pockets "it's a house, but the house isn't the creepy part, it's what happened in the house." She didn't elaborate though, effectively coaxing me into continuing the conversation.

"You want to inform me about what happened in the house?" I coaxed in return, and Adeline nodded, gesturing for me to follow her as she walked through the dead leaves that covered what may have once been a path to the house.

"Allow me to set the scene." She said with a grin. "It's a cold, dark January day, much like this one." Adeline stepped up onto the porch, the wooden stairs creaking heavily under her weight, as though she weighed more than the hundred and thirty pounds that she looked.

"This was back in the early nineteen hundreds, the exact day escapes me, unfortunately. But, nevertheless, the Warden of the the Asylum is comes home, walks down that same path and stands right....." Adeline takes a step to the left "here. He stands out here for a minute, takes in the scenery. It was almost silent, and in that silence, what do you think he heard." I cocked a brow. "How should I know? You're the one telling the story." Adeline sighed, let her arms drop from where she had raised them in an effort at theatrics.