Congratulations on the Broken Heart

I woke up to an empty room.

An empty heart.

An empty body.

It had been three months since Theodore rejected me. Three months since my wolf tried to tear me up from the inside. Three months since I had to start taking sedatives to keep my wolf at bay. I was alone on the inside and surrounded by those who wanted to help but couldn't.

My smile.

The beautiful smile everyone fell over was gone.

Dead.

I hadn't been able to. Not even when I got Demetri and Lexi together. They were so happy and all I could do was stand there and wish to know what that felt like.

Everything hurt and yet it couldn't because I was so numb.

Today...

Toady was the day I graduated.

My parents had tried to come but I didn't want them to see me like this- a shell of the boy they raised. No parent should have to witness the death of their child.

"Knock, knock," Jonah said as he opened the door. Rixon followed him, both in suits because today was the day that was supposed to be the happiest for me. The drugs though...they kept me dead. "Hey, Aiden. Ready?"

I rolled over and out the bed. "I will be out in ten."

They both bit their lips before walking out. I grabbed a pink button-up with the sleeves rolled up, black slacks, and my black dress boots before braiding my hair up into a bun. I put foundations on, mostly to take away the paleness of my face and the black under my eyes before walking out.

I walked past my family and popped my sedative. "See you guys there," I said and made my way out. I slid into Sunshine and tried to ignore the fading smell of my mate as I drove away. I had seen him around school a few times but every time I got close he would walk away.

He hated me.

He made that clear.

I pulled into my parking spot and pulled out my green graduation cap and gown before walking toward the gym area. I caught a whiff of Theo and walked the opposite way knowing it wasn't worth it.

The pain that is.

He would always be worth it.

* * *

Names had been called, cheers were thrown around, and the diploma was held in my hand but I didn't pay any mind. I just wanted to go back home. We were all packed and ready to go... all of our clothes already on the way to our home. We were next.

I was walking toward where I could see my family but was stopped when my name was yelled across the crowd.

My head whipped around. I took in the crowd and tried to see where the voice was coming from when a pair of dark blue eyes met mine. "Aiden!" Theo screamed and I felt my wolf whimper as he saw our mate.

"Aiden?" Zyler said behind me. I turned to him but was forced back around when my wolf heard Theo again.

"Aiden!" and then he slammed against my chest.

"What- what are you doing?" I squeaked.

"Run. Please, run!" he shouted and started to push me and my family. I didn't think twice before pushing them toward their Jeeps.

"Go! Get in the Jeeps now! Meet at the place," I said, knowing they would know where I was talking about. I jumped into Sunshine and so did Theo before a gunshot rang and bounced off my car.

"Is Sunshine bulletproof?" he asked in disbelief as I pulled out.

"Papa doesn't play," I said and sped out following my cousin Jeep. "What the hell is going on, Theo?" I finally asked as my cousins and I all split up.

"I told my dad about you," he said.

I bit my lip. "You really wanted me dead, huh?"

Theo scuffed. "If I wanted you dead I wouldn't have warned. Aiden, I was so stupid. I- I shouldn't have acted the way I did."

I swerved right as a black car came up behind me. "You rejected me, Theo."

"I was so hurt," he said as I sped down the road.

"So you kill me?"

He shook his head as he rolled down the window and shot at the car behind us. He reloaded and looked at me. "I hated wolves. I thought they were the worse things alive until Ally."

"The wolf from your base?" I asked as bullets peppered my tailgate.

"Yeah, her. I asked her about all the bullshit you told me and she educated me. She explained to me everything. How there are good wolves and bad. How mates work. She explained the reason I felt so dead when I rejected you. I wasn't listening when you were speaking. All I felt was the betrayal."

"And now that you know?" I asked looking at him.

"I don't care who or what you are. All I know is I love you, Aiden. I love you and the damn wolf you hide," he said and I smiled as my wolf howled.

I felt life fill me again and I watched as he smiled and leaned over. I kissed him quickly before hitting a tight corner and watching as the hunters crashed.

"Why did you tell your dad then?" I asked as I sped toward the place.

"I let Ally go," he said as he dropped his gun on my floor. He took off his cap and mine, throwing them in the backseat before smiling. "I couldn't keep her there when her mate was looking for her."

"And he found out?"

"Yeah," Theo said quickly. "He asked me why and I told him what she told me and then told him about you. He listened and then said he would kill you and prove to me that all wolves were evil."

I cringed. "We have to leave town," he said.

"We can go to my home," I offered. "But, don't you want to stay here? This is your home, Theo."

"No... you're my home," he said and I smiled before picking up my phone. I called Rixon and then Stellar telling them to head home. We had to get away as fast as possible.

"Well, looks like you get to meet my parents," I said in a shaky voice.

He grabbed my thigh and I sighed as I felt our bond rebuild. "The one who taught you to fight, you mean?" he said as he rubbed my thigh in a soothing motion.

"The very one."

"Oh, great."