thirteen

Nana is a scary riddle about a 9-year-old girl whose family was murdered. This story was originally a Japanese riddle that is "SCARY WHEN YOU KNOW THE MEANING". The riddle doesn't work in English so I had to change it.

Ill explain it this way:

In a certain district in Japan, a horrible crime took place. An entire family was murdered. The mother, the father and the son were all killed. The only one that survived was the daughter who was hiding in the closet at the time of the murders. Her name is Nana and she is 9 years old.

When police examined the bodies, they found that the father has managed to leave a message written on his own blood at the same spot where he died before the father died. The police couldn't make sense of the strange message. It just seemed to be a series of random numbers... "141141..."

All of Nana's family were dead and she had nobody to turn to. The police decided to take care of the young girl until things calmed down. One police officer volunteered to let her stay in his house with his wife and kids. They thought she would be safe there.

After a while, an unemployed 34-year-old man who lived in the neighborhood was arrested. The police questioned him, but he said he didn't know anything about the murders and rarely even left his house. The police didn't believe his story and became convinced that he was the killer.

That evening the police officer came home from work and took Nana aside. He told her that they had a suspect. When she heard this, Nana was frightened, but the police officer calmed her and whispered softly to her.

"Don't worry Nana-chan," he said. "This horrible ordeal will be over soon. We are going to catch the bad man and make him pay for what he did to your family."

Then, the police looked at Nana's face. The little girl smiled and began laughing.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!

Note: To find the solution who the killer was: A is the 1st letter of the alphabet and N is the 14th... 14-1-14-1 = N-A-N-A.

Note: In the original Japanese story, the solution is much more complicated. The message the father leaves, "7-564". In Japanese, 7 is either pronounced either "NANA" or "Shichi", 5 is pronounce as "go" or "ko", 5 is pronounced as "roku" or "ro" and 4 is pronounced as "yon" or "shi". So "7-564" could be pronounced as "Nana, koroshi" which means, In English, "Nana, murder!" Talk about complicated!

While I was searching this, I came across another famous one. Sometimes, kids in Japan text each other the number "42-42-564!" to freak each other out. In Japanese, 42-42-564 is pronounced as "Shini Shini Koroshi" which means "Die! Die! Kill!" or "Death! Death! Murder!"