Chapter 2

While walking home, I realized Sasuke was walking behind me. I slowed down so we were walking side by side.

"Hey," I greeted, as if him being there didn't faze me at all.

"Hn," he grunted and continued with his hands stuffed in his pockets, ignoring me completely. looked down and frowned. What's his problem? All I said was hi...

Maybe he's just trying to prove himself or something, I thought, my fiery attitude coming in. I raised my head confidently.

"So...what are you doing following me? Want to fight?" I asked without facing him.

"Ha, that's a funny joke. Fight a weakling like you? Not in a million years. And I'm not following you, my house is in this direction. What made you think you were better than me?" he scoffed with a smirk on his face.

I cursed at myself for being an idiot.

"I'm not weak, idiot. I'm a Hamasaki, and I'm of the main family," I boasted and he scoffed again.

"Yeah right, you're all big talk, and nothing more," he insulted. I clenched my fists and gritted my teeth.

"Don't test me, filthy Uchiha!" I yelled and was thinking about punching him, until I stopped myself.

He's right. I'm weak, and that's why my mom died. No, I can't think like that. I'll show him I'm strong!

I stopped to catch my breath and sensed chakra next to me. I looked up to see Sasuke.

"What was that about?" he asked, a bit startled by me running off. I straightened my stance and glared at him.

"Let's fight, right here and now. Then we'll see who's the weak one," I yelled and placed my hand on my weapon bag.

"Hn, fine," he sighed and pulled out a kunai. I took a deep breath and focused intensely. Let's see how my training pays off.

Knowing he wouldn't start, I threw a shuriken to distract him. He threw the kunai to block it. He started making hand signs. My eyes widened. Fire Style? He's not bad, but he doesn't know I can use water, does he? It's my clan's element, like his clan's element is fire.

"Phoenix Flower Jutsu!"

"Water Dragon Jutsu!"

Our jutsu countered each other, mine overpowering his slightly. His guard was down because he was baffled at his now soaked clothing. I weaved the signs for my Star Shuriken Jutsu. This Justu is part of my kekkei genkai and only those in my clan could perform it. I threw a normal shuriken at him and he deflected it easily. I then threw my Star Shuriken.

My star shuriken is different from normal ones. It's shaped like a star, so it has five points, and it's blue. Additionally, it will track the chakra it has detected until it gets it, unless it hits a tree/other object that's in the way, unlike the normal shuriken which will only go in the direction you throw it and will most likely miss. My jutsu is precise and so far, I've never missed a shot. The shuriken chased after Sasuke until it hit him in the back.

Poof!

"Damnit! A Substitution!" I grunted and turned around, scanning the area, trying to sense Sasuke's chakra.

"How'd you know?" I asked, referring to my Jutsu.

"I saw you weaving signs. I had never seen that Jutsu before, so I guessed it was your kekkei genkai. I guessed right," he explained coolly, away from my sight. I scowled.

I heard a shuriken coming my way, but I couldn't block it. Well, here goes nothing. I took a deep breath as my hair released itself from its bun and braid and blocked the attack. Sasuke appeared wide eyed.

"Impressive, but not good enough," he said and started attacking with Taijitsu.

"That's not going to work on me," I sighed and shook my head as my hair blocked every attack coming my way. He jumped back and smirked.

"But can your hair block ninjutsu?" he asked cockily and my eyes widened.

I actually don't know...I heard that some of the ancient clan members were able to absorb ninjutsu and/or throw it back at their enemies, or absorb the chakra.  But...many destroyed their hair, burning it, electrocuting it, so on and so forth, because their hair didn't absorb chakra. No one from my clan alive today can use that ability...

Sasuke started weaving hand signs.

"Fire Ball Jutsu!" he yelled, the ball of fire being launched at me.

Let's hope it absorbs it...

I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for the excruciating pain as my skin and hair caught on fire, but nothing ever came.

"Sasuke, that's enough," I heard and deep and familiar voice scold. I looked up.

"Kakashi sensei?" I asked and felt myself become a little dizzy.

So my hair didn't absorb the chakra, Kakashi-sensei just saved me...

"Thank you, Kakashi sensei, but there was no need. I'm not weak. I refuse to be weak, and I will never lose against a pathetic Uchiha," I muttered and Sasuke became furious.

"Don't insult my clan, Hotaru! All you do is talk, you had to be saved by Kakashi and you look like you can't stand properly," he insulted.

"I can treat my wounds, I know medical ninjutsu," I replied through gritted teeth and limped the rest of the way to my house.

Don't test me, Uchiha.