forty two

I woke up from Louis' nurse gently shaking me. "Ma'am." Her soft voice spoke.

I used my hand that was placed on Louis' chest to wipe at my eyes before blinking a few times. I focused on her. "I'm Nurse Megan." She extended her hand to me.

I slowly rose from my laying position and shook her hand. "I'm Alexis." I used my other hand to cover my mouth. "Sorry, I probably have horrible morning breath." I mumbled but she just laughed.

"Don't worry, I'm used to it." She handed me a toothbrush and a small tub of toothpaste that grabbed out of her pocket in her uniform. I took it from her and rushed to the bathroom.

She was probably changing Louis' ivy bags and needles. I was beyond happy to not be there for it. "Bleh." I gagged at the thought of it. I took out the toothbrush my mouth. Placing my hand on the sink with the toothbrush in it and looked myself in the mirror.

I had a slight bruising around my nose from where the drug-covered cloth was pressed to make me sleep. My fingers traced the light purple marks. I looked at my eyes. Dark circles were around them. The usual brown that my eyes are, were now black—a deep brown.

I took a deep breath. "Great, Alexis, you've fallen in love with someone who defies all your standards." I gasped and covered my mouth as soon as the words left them. My toothbrush fell out of my hand and I scrambled to pick it up and wash it. I rinsed my mouth and looked at myself in the mirror again.

"Am I in love with Louis?" I whispered.

A knock came through the door and I hurriedly opened it. Not wanting to be alone with my thoughts any longer. "I'm all done here. I should be back within the next six hours or so to change his catheter." Nurse Megan spoke. "Other than that, you two have the room to yourselves." She smiled and waved a goodbye.

I slowly stepped out of the bathroom. My feet barely making a sound as I touched the floor. Scared that Louis would hear me and wake up—but that was what I wanted. But not right now. I continued to tiptoe around Louis' bed and gently sit on the chair. A long, low hiss escaped the cushion as my body sunk into it. My fingers extended on the arm rest as if that would lessen the noise.

I looked at Louis. His color was regained now, but bruises that formed overnight were visible now. His skin wasn't so sunken in, but he still looked thin. My hand was placed in front of my mouth, in a thinking position. I narrowed my eyes at him, trying to figure my thoughts out.

"I can fucking feel you drilling a hole in me with your eyes." Louis spoke and I jumped in my chair.

"What?" I coughed out. Mostly because I couldn't understand him, but also because I didn't expect him to be awake.

He opened one of his eyes and located me before closing it again. "Stop staring at me. It's annoying, Alexis." He said.

Again, chills ran up and down my arms. Every time he says my name. A smile appeared on my face and, suddenly, waves of emotions took over me. I started to cry. I wasn't aware of these emotions until now. Feelings of sadness, fear, and anger were washed away and replaced with relief, joy, and want. I angrily wiped at my eyes, not wanting Louis to see me like this.

"Come on, love. It was a joke." Louis whined as he noticed me sobbing.

I sniffled. "I know it was, but I can't help it. It just... happened." I covered my eyes with my hands and wept into them.

"Hey." Louis whispered.

"Hey." He said a little louder since I didn't look at him.

Then, I was hit with a pillow and a loud hiss escaped Louis' lips. "Shit, are you okay?" I quickly got up, wiping my face with the pillow.

"Yeah." Louis said tensely, but he was lying. "That throw just took a lot of effort, y'know? Would've been nice if you listened to me and didn't ignore me." He stared at me, trying to distract me with his playful humor.

I ignored him and reached for the calling button and pressed it. "I'm fine, Alexis." Louis said angrily.

"No, you're not. You got shot and you're in the damn hospital." I told him. Louis gave me an annoyed stare.

"We're in a hospital and you're still so damn controlling." Louis muttered.

"Controlling?!" I yelled. "You're the one who's always 'controlling.'" I use air quotes.

Then, out of the blue, Louis smiled. He smiled one of the most precious smile I've seen on him. Teeth showing and all. He tilted his head in my direction, giving me a perfect view of his face. His eyes were dark, but so close to their normal blue. His hair was pushed away from his face. A short stubble was growing and it looked good on him. The little folds around his mouth when he smiled were showing. My heart practically melted at the sight of this happy man.

"Just like the good old days, yeah? Us, bickering." Louis said through his smile. I nodded.

Although he was smiling, pain was evident on his face. My heart instantly sunk in my chest. "How are you feeling?" I asked. My hand reaching out to his. He quickly grabbed it and squeezed it hard.

"Absolutely starving." He joked, but winced as he started to laugh.

"Well, what a day it is!" Nurse Megan walked into the room with a big smile. "I changed your tubes and stuff only a few minutes ago thinking you'd still be asleep, but you're awake!" She stood in front of his bed with her hands on her hips.

"I need to get this out of you." She pointed at the lump in his abdomen where his catheter was.

"I got to go." I blubbered, looking left and right before finally walking towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Louis and Nurse Megan said at the same time.

"I don't like needles." I quickly said before rushing towards the door.

Louis scoffed, "Pussy."

I immediately stopped at the door and turned around him. I crossed my arms over my chest and gave him a cold stare. "Keep talking like that and you're not going to be getting this pussy." I spoke without thinking and immediately regret it.

My hand flew to my mouth as I realized what I said. Nurse Megan stood frozen with her eyes wide, looking at me. Louis started laughing so loud. He winced every time but continued to laugh.

"Do you see what you do?" I raised my voice. "You're starting to make me talk like you!" I pointed at Louis, who was doubling in laughter.

Nurse Megan quickly took out his catheter, her body blocking my view of it, and quickly walked out. I stopped her. "I am so sorry for what you heard. I would never say anything like that in my life, but he just brings out my bad side." I apologized before looking at Louis. He was already staring at me.

"It's true. She's a prude." Louis shrugged and Nurse Megan chuckled.

"It's okay. You two are the most entertaining people I've seen all day." She patted me on the shoulder before going out the door.

I walked over to Louis and stood beside his bed. "Since you called me a prude, you're definitely not getting any of this." I pointed to my body.

Louis smiled, lightly chuckled, and shook his head.

"You're a shit liar, babe." Louis said, quoting himself from one of the first times we met, causing me smile.

A/N:

You guys might want to reach the update goal pretty quick bc the next chapter is freaking good.

IT HAS BEEN A YEAR SINCE I FIRST STARTED THIS BOOK (WELL WHEN I POSTED THE AUTHOR'S NOTE) WHICH WAS NOVEMBER 12, 2015 I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS BABY IS A YEAR OLD . The first chapter was published on December 29, 2015 WHICH IS CLOSE KFJGKJF

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this sweet chapter! I DIDN'T KILL OFF LOUIS FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO THOUGHT I WAS, although I was thinking it when I brainstormed but didn't see how I could continue without him in it so 

For an update: 100 reads, 50 votes, 25 comments. The usual. 

I hope you all have a great week!

love u cuties xx