Chapter Five

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor." - anonymous 

::

"How was class?"

I looked up to my mother's smile as it faded at the sight of my own frown.

"It would have been great," I sighed. "If it weren't for the drill sergeant of a teacher they gave us."

Mother frowned. "Azashi-san?"

I looked up, confused. "How did you know?"

"Your father told me-"

"Wait!" I quickly stopped her. "Father knows?"

She nodded. I collapsed down next to her, sighing heavily. She stroked my hair lovingly.

"What's wrong?" She asked. 

"Nothing..." I didn't want her to worry too much, "It's nothing."

She poked my cheeks, smiling. "Relax, Ichirou. Now matter what — your father will always love you."

I closed my eyes. "I doubt that."

She flicked my forehead, looking up, I met her stern gaze. 

"Do not doubt your father," She told him. "Or yourself... you have so much potential, Ichirou, don't waste it."

"Oh, is that so?" I couldn't help the sarcasm that seeped into my voice. "Then pray, tell me why I am in the lowest of the low?"

She frowned. "Don't talk to your mother like that."

I felt instant regret. Sitting up, I gave my mother an apologetic frown.

"I'm sorry mother... I was angry, do not worry yourself."

She sighed, brushing back my fringe. "You do not need to worry about me, Ichirou... enjoy these years, they won't last forever."

I wanted to tell her how I do worry about her, and how she shouldn't worry about me — but I could only nod.

"Now," She smiled. "Tell me about your new class? Did you make any friends?"

I opened my mouth and proceeded to talk my mother's ear off.

::

"Good morning, Azashi-sensei."

The aged shinobi looked over at me, smirking. "Glad to see you made it."

I didn't doubt his words for a second.

With a shudder, I ducked under his gaze, walking into the classroom. It was the same size as others, however due to the lack of students it seemed much larger.

Kitsuchi sat at the very back, lazily balancing a pencil atop his nose. Han was quietly drawing at his desk, seated in centre of the room. Sachiko was to the left, closest to Han and sensei, eagerly waiting for class to begin.

I walked towards the middle, right of the classroom and sat by the window. I knew full well I was going to gaze out of it and fully intended on doing so. I put my satchel by the chair, and pulled out a book and pen, looking up to our sensei.

Azashi was in the same spot as yesterday. Leant against the desk, cane beside him.

"Now, today we'll be going over history."

Kitsuchi let out a comical sigh, flopping onto his desk. I cracked a smirk at his overreaction, looking around to see I wasn't the only one. Sachiko muffled a laugh into her hand while Han smile sheepishly under his mask.