Chapter 8 - Mum...?

Start from the beginning

"I can't say any more. I love you. Please take care of yourself. Never forget that. Stay safe." She said.

"I love you too, mum. I won't, I promise.. But what's wrong?" I said, but that was too late. She was gone.

I closed the window, and slid down to the floor, my back against the wall, and just sat there, letting the tears fall from my eyes to my cheeks, then to the floor. 

- - 

"Laurel! Laurel! Wake up!" Someone shouted in my ear while shaking me.

"Go away!" I said, turning to the other side.

"You've been asleep from like 6PM and it's like 10 AM now. Now get up! We've got some work to do." Oh, it's Thayer.

"What do you want?" I said, groaning. 

"Well someone's slept with a pea under the mattress." He mumbled. 

"Heh." I said, getting up and pushing him towards the door.

"Why are you pushing me out of the room?" He asked, with a confused look on his face.

"Well, maybe cause I want to get ready?" I said.

"Chiiiillll. Well don't go back to sleep alright?" He asked, smiling.

"Sure." I said, trying to close the door, but he wouldn't move.

"Wait," he says, then kisses my cheek, "Don't take too long." He says smiling and walked out.

Oh Thayer.. You're too kind.

I walked into the bathroom and did my usual routine, got dressed and walked out, and downstairs.

I smell food!! Yummy food!

"Hey!" I said to Thayer, as I walked into the dinning room and sat down across him.

"Well you're happier now." He said, glancing at me while cutting a piece of bacon.

"Yeah… Thanks I guess." I said, putting food onto my plate. "So what are we going to be doing today?"

"Nothing really." He said.

"Oh." I said, then sipping my orange juice.

"Is there something wrong?" He asked.

"Nah, I was just hoping we'd do something today." I said, trying to smile at him. Yes, I was hoping we'd do something today.

And also because I needed to find out where we were. I really need to leave.. The dream I had last night.. What did it mean? Was I in danger? 

"Oh, well sorry.." He said, continuing after a few moments of silence, "How about we go get ice-cream? And maybe stop by the park on the way back?" He asked me, maybe feeling a bit guilty?

"Sure." I said, smiling and eating the rest of my food.

- - 

We were now on our way to the ice-cream parlor. The weather was just perfect for a walk. 

We got to the ice-cream parlor and being the gentleman he is, Thayer opened the door for me, I walked in and we slid into a booth.

"Hey there, I'm Luke and I'll be serving you today. Here are your menus and just call me when you're ready to order." He said, smiling at us, well mostly me.

"I don't like him.." Thayer said, looking at the menu.

"Oooh, Thayer's jelly!" I said, teasing him.

"Am not." He protested, glaring at me.

"Suuree. Whatever makes you sleep at night." I said, rolling my eyes at him.