Chapter Twenty: Define The Relationship

Start from the beginning

"Well, I was hoping my idiotic nephew wouldn't bring you into our family matter." He admitted shamelessly. "Besides, technically it has gone over your head for a few years now. I slipped up and you found out. Don't think too highly of yourself."

"Oh? You thought I wouldn't realize the countless bruises you placed all over his body? You thought I wouldn't realize that he had been left out for dead in the snow by your hands? You, who are supposed to be his family. You're supposed to be the person who protects him from the world. Not the one who breaks him." I was glaring at the wall by that point. His words easily annoyed me.

"I'm sure you're well aware, Nico Delacroix, that the weak can't survive in our world. If anything, it was all just tough love." I scoffed in disbelief to hear Gregory speak about Max that way after everything he's done. "I was making him tougher-"

"How much?"

"Come again?"

"How much of the debt has been left unpaid?"

Max's eyes widened and he yanked his pillow out from under him. He smashed me in the face with it, causing me to almost drop his phone. I looked over at him with confusion and he was glaring back at me. I placed the pillow aside and ignored Max's look he was giving me.

Gregory laughed in my ear for what seemed like an eternity. "If you can get me two million I'll forget I even had a nephew in the first place."

"Fine." I said through gritted teeth. I was almost positive it wasn't that high of a debt but anything to get Gregory away from Max. "What about Rachel-"

"She isn't in this deal, Nico Delacroix. Don't push your luck." He said in a threateningly low voice.

I looked at Max to see if he wanted me to fight for Rachel as well. He shook his head. His eyebrows were slightly furrowed like if he was trying to figure out why I was willing to go so far. For me, I felt like I wasn't going far enough. Money was nothing. In few weeks, give or take, of working late and I'd have tripled the amount I was going to give Gregory. Besides, it was all coming out of my own personal account.

"Okay. Fine. Though, I better not hear that you abuse her as well-"

"I wouldn't do something so idiotic. I think of her as my child. You don't know anything." His cool demeanor wavered slightly and he coughed to gather himself. "Two million and you'll never hear another word from me."

"Yeah, I know. You don't have to tell me twice. Oh, one more thing. Touch Max again and I'll kill you. That's your one and only warning." I said and hung up without giving him a chance to reply.

Max immediately smacked me on the back of my head. I flinched and held my head softly, "ow! What the hell Max?!" I tossed his phone in his lap with a frown.

"I didn't need you to go that far! Are you stupid? Do I need to get you evaluated at a hospital? That man isn't going to take you talking informally to him like that sitting down. He isn't just some guy with money-"

"Shut up. I'd smack you back if it weren't because you already look like shit." I told him, cutting him off. "How much was the debt anyways?" I asked wanting to double check my earlier theory.

"Huh? I don't know. About a hundred thousand or something around that. Why? That's only as much as you're giving him, right?"