Chapter Twenty: Define The Relationship

Start from the beginning

I walked down the hall and knocked on his door. He refused to stay inside the recovery room so I had him moved into his room. I wouldn't have heard the end of it if I hadn't.

"It's open!" I heard Max's muffled voice from the other side of the door.

"You're up early." I said as I opened the door, "Couldn't sleep?"

"Everything hurts." He said trying to smile but it looked pained. He was making his best efforts to smile but how he truly felt was seen through his eyes. It was obvious as I stared at him that he had been crying.

I walked over to his bed and looked down at him with a small smile. I pushed his hair off of his forehead and leaned down, placing a kiss on his head. "He hasn't called you, has he?" I asked.

Max seemed surprised that I had kissed his head but smiled softly. As soon as I asked about his uncle, he shook his head. "No. He probably will in a few days."

"Don't answer it if he does. Ignore his text messages too."

"but-"

"No buts, Max. What the hell is he going to do? He can't touch you as long as you're inside the Delacroix estate. He's going to have to pry you out of my grip if he wants to take you away. I'm serious."

"Nico. That's a nice gesture and all but you don't know my uncle-"

"What did I just say? No buts. You should have stopped at 'That's a nice gesture.' and left it at that. You know what? Seems like you're not going to understand so give me your phone." I told him as I put my hand out to him. "Better yet, dial your uncle and then hand me the phone."

"You're taking away my phone?"

"Hurry." I instructed. He clicked his tongue at me and gave me his phone after tapping the screen a few times. I put the phone to my ear and waited for a few seconds.

One ring. Then two.

"What's his name?" I asked in between the rings.

Three. Four.

"Gregory."

Five. Six. Seven.

I didn't think he was going to answer but he did. In a deep, rude voice Max's uncle, Gregory, answered the phone. "What do you want you annoying brat? Calling to tell me how you can't afford your parents debt? I'll be glad to take you in again and sell you off to some farm where you'll be used-"

"Stop talking. I'm not Max. You piss me off. I was hoping this would go a lot smoother but I'm afraid that's no longer the case. I'm sure I don't need to introduce myself to you."

Gregory went silent. I heard him blow out like he was smoking on the other side. "Nico Delacroix, correct? I'd be lying if I said this was a pleasure."

"I'm sure you would." My eyebrow twitched slightly. "I'm calling on behalf of Max. Leave him the fuck alone." I said, cutting all formality. "I don't want you anywhere near him again, got that? Greg, was it? I won't speak formally to you because you're just a pesky fly from where I stand. Even though your older and supposed to have more knowledge than me, you sure are stupid, aren't you? Did you really think I would just stand by and let Max get abused by you?" I glanced over at Max who kept his eyes looking down at his lap.