WEEK FIVE

"Mariana."

"What?" She yelled from her room. She wore a blue dress,intricate white designs presented on it. Her hair was up in an elegant bun,feet adorned with golden shoes.

"Liam Payne is here!" She says loudly.

"Fuck." Mariana curses,walking down the stairs swiftly. She ran so quickly she ran into someone. It was Zayn.

She was about to fall but he caught her. Their eyes were interlocked,Zayn's hands on her small waist. Her arms were around his neck,heart beating erratically.

"I-why are you still here?"

"I left something h-here."

"Further explain what you left. Maybe I've seen it." Mariana demands softly,getting up from his strong hold. She stands up,fixing her dress.

"Mariana hurry up." Marina barks,staring at her sister with anger in her eyes. Mariana nods her head once at Zayn,gracefully walking down the stairs.

"Hello,Mr. Payne."

"Please..call me Liam."

+

"So Liam...what is your occupation?"

"I'm the sherif."

"That's exciting..how old are you?"

"Thirty two." It was considered normal for the man to be much older than his wife.

"How is Elizabeth?"

"She's alright."

"I am so sorry about your wife," Mariana says softly,her hand placed over his. Elizabeth is Liam's daughter. She was 3 months old and in desperate need of a mother. Lady Kenna,Liam's wife,died in childbirth. It was a sad,morbid death.

"Do not be sorry." He said,placing his hand on Marianna's thigh which was covered by her dress.

+

"How did it go?"

"Alright I suppose.." Mariana mumbled,playing with the hem of her blue dress. Outside there was thunder and it was raining. Marina insisted Zayn stayed the night because he lived so far away. He was very quiet-observing their conversation.

"He seems very kind."

"I'm fourteen,Marina. He has a child!"

"You can and will learn to care for her."

"It's not that. I'm frightened i won't know what to do. And what if he wants another child? It isn't in my place to decline."

"We don't decline,Mariana. We stand by our husbands. Mr. Payne is a kind man-he will not do anything to hurt you. If I don't meet anyone of significance for you,Mr. Payne will be chosen. End of discussio-"

"What if I like someone else?" Mariana challenges,chewing on her lip impatiently.

"You'll do what's best for our family,Mariana. Do not be foolish."

Mariana drops her fork on the floor. Quickly she picks it up and places it next to her plate which had been untouched.

Zayn was sitting next to her,watching her carefully. Marina kicked Zayn under the table,nodding her head towards Mariana-silently pleading he'd say something.

"Listen to your sister,Mariana."