Chapter 3 - "We are officially partners in crime."

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"What do you write on?" she asked. "Computer? Tablet? My sister Cece sometimes writes on her phone. It's how we both started writing and she says it helps at times."

"A YA author?"

Elliot nodded.

"Yes, she is working on her second novel. She will write in here sometimes, but she prefers cafes. Something about the noise and slow wifi helps."

Beck nodded and looked back at the room.

"Typewriter," he said.

Elliot frowned.

"Sorry?" 

"It's what I usually write on."

"Into the whole hipster movement then?"

Beck gave her a blank look.

"No."

Elliot gave a slow nod.

"Alright, then why a typewriter?"

Beck shrugged.

"I like the feel of the keys and the way it sounds. I can write on a computer though, the sound bothers most people," Beck said.

"Computer would probably be best." Elliot looked around the office. "Any questions? Complaints? Compliments?"

Beck gave the room one last look, then shook his head.

"Lunch?" Elliot asked.

Beck looked at her.

"After you." 

The hostess looked up and smiled as Elliot and Beck stepped into the restaurant. Soft classical music drifted over the heads of the diners. Cool Spring light filled the restaurant.

"Ms. McKenzie, it's good to see you again," the hostess said, stepping forward.

"Hi Anita. Do you have a table by the windows, preferably towards the back, that's open?" Elliot asked.

The hostess gave her a bright smile.

"Let me just check."

Elliot turned to Beck as Anita disappeared amid the rows of tables, covered in white tablecloths.

"Why here?" Beck asked.

"I usually come here when I have business related matters to talk over with Nina or Matt. It's quiet enough that we can have a conversation without being disturbed too much. I figure it would fit our needs. The foods good too." Elliot leaned in a little closer to him, her voice dropping in volume. "Though I usually go to a sandwich shop down the street when I really want something good to eat." She straightened and shrugged. "I would have taken you there, but it's really noisy and very crowded most of the time."

Beck nodded.

Anita's heels clanked against the tile and Elliot turned back.

"I have just the spot for you, follow me," Anita said, grabbing two menus.

She led them to a table in the back and handed them the menus after they sat.

"Can I start you off with something to drink?"

"Water," Elliot said.

The hostess looked to Beck.

"Same."

She smiled and left. Elliot flipped open the menu and started looking over it, her eyes taking in nothing. After a minute of silence she shut it and placed it beside her plate. Beck stared intently at his menu, his face calm, his posture relaxed, as if he was the one who owned the restaurant. When a waiter returned with their waters, they ordered.