Chapter 12

"Frank, what are you doing here?" My mom asked.

"Well, funny story," I said. "Can I come in?"

My parents looked at each other before opening the door wider. I went in and sat down on the couch while they sat on the one opposite me.

"What is this all about?" My dad asked.

"Well, I need some money," I said.

"I think you're going to have to go somewhere else," my dad denied.

"Please, dad, I need my lease extended and I have a hospital bill for the person I'm dating and--"

"Person you're dating," my mom interrupted. "Is this person a boy or a girl?"

I can't say boy, they won't give me money.

I also can't say girl.

"Well, I can tell you this person definitely loves wearing dresses," I said.

My mom's eyes lit up. Oh great, she thinks Gee is a girl. Well, as long as she doesn't find out so that way I can get money.

"Oh really? That's wonderful," she cooed. "I knew that whole gay thing was just a silly phase."

Bitch it's not a phase.

"Well, the money?" I asked.

"What's the hospital bill from?" My dad asked, he seemed less hostile, which was a good sign.

"Fractured ribs," I said.

"Oh, poor thing," my mom said. "How's she doing?"

I bit my lip. "Fine."

"Well, Junior, how much you need?" My dad asked, pulling out his checkbook.

Oh god, he's even calling me Junior again.

"Well--"

"Oh, Frank, dear, we should all have dinner together," my mom said.

"O-oh, I don't think that's a good idea," I said. "With the fractured ribs and the pain and all it's just not a good time."

"Oh, well tell her I wish her well," my mom said. "Frank, why haven't you written that check out yet?"

"He hasn't told me how much he needs yet," my dad replied.

I gave him a ballpark number and he signed it.

"Good, so glad to have you back, Frankie," my mom said to me. "I also can't wait to meet this girl you're dating."

I smiled back at her. I'm not lying, I never said Gee was a girl. I'm just letting her believe something that isn't necessarily true.

"Anyways, I better get going to the bank then back home," I said.

"Call us," my mom said. "I'm still wanting that dinner."

I nodded my head, standing up as I pocketed the check. They walked me to the door and I left as fast as possible. I drove home, hurrying up my apartment. Gee was sitting on the couch, watching the tv.

"Daddy, I missed you," he said softly, looking me up and down. "Where's the groceries? I thought you were going to the store."

"Oh, I was gonna buy something but they didn't have it," I lied.

"Oh, okay," he mumbled, looking back at the screen.

I walked behind him, kissing the top of his head as I went to the bedroom. I stuffed the check into the top drawer of my dresser.