Rule #8: What She Doesn't Know Can't Hurt Her

It was the Beach Bar opening weekend. I had hoped my invitation would get lost in the mail and not only because it had sounded more like a guys’ hangout. I had no problem with that bit. It was the part where I knew I wouldn’t say no.

It was a little after eight in the evening and I found myself standing at a tall one-legged table on the roof of Greendale Mall. It was a warm night and even though we were in the open, I didn’t feel cold in my strapless white dress. I had taken my time to get ready so I trusted I looked good in it - it fell freely from the waist down until the middle of my thighs. My hair was glossy and grazing over my shoulders, along with my long pair of earrings, and my light make-up highlighted just the right features. The one mistake I made - I chose six inch stilettos. Bad idea. The roof concrete was hidden under a thick layer of sand.

Rob and Jason were on my sides, none of their girlfriends present. I knew about Nadia, but I had no idea where the other brunette was - not that I was complaining. Dan was also missing – he was at some event with Sylvia in Boston. And Chloe had the flu. No, really. That wasn’t some excuse I invented just so I didn’t bring her here because Jason showed particular interest in her. She really had the flu.

So that left just the three of us, sipping our drinks, the two of them watching a live stage performance of some unknown artist, while I only pretended to do so, every so often stealing glances at the sexiness on my right. He had gone for a causal beach outfit with khaki shorts and a short-sleeved white shirt. His hair was, as always, tousled – like a sea breeze had been playing with it all day. Gosh, how I envied that breeze.

“It’s not exactly like on the beach,” Rob commented loudly, over the music and my eyes glued to the stage, like they had never left it. My anklet-slash-bracelet dangled on my wrist as I lifted my drink off the table, acting cool.

“It’s the best we’ve got that’s not three hours away,” Jason replied, leaning closer to the table so we could hear him. The side of me that was to him prickled even more.

“I’d still rather go to a real one. Speaking of, when are we going?”

“Not tonight, obviously so let’s just pretend we’re there, okay?”

Rob made an unhappy face.

“The cocktails look beachy,” I offered as I let go of the straw and placed the glass back on the table. It had an umbrella and lime hooked on its edge. “No girls in coconut bras, though,” I added teasingly.

Jason put his arm around my shoulders, casually pulling me to himself, and I froze. So much with my coolness. “Our hopes lay in you then,” he said, his eyes challenging. “Do you have one?”

Rob grabbed his arm like it was toxic and removed it from my shoulders, putting his there instead and pulling me back in his direction. “Keep your dirty hands off my girl, Jason!”

Usually, I would be grateful to Rob for his protectiveness. But couldn’t he keep quiet at least once? I was a big girl! I could get out of it myself! If I wanted to.

The ghost of the touch of Jason’s arm on my bare shoulders was still lingering there when he laughed. “Chill, Rob. I’m just messing around.”

“I know how your ‘messing around’ ends. Take it elsewhere. Nikki’s off limits.” Rob gave him a mean look. I wasn’t sure what exactly was happening here.

“Of course she’s different,” Jason said and my heart did a double dismount. “She’s your friend. One of the guys. You know I would never…” And just as fast, it was over.

“Guys, do you mind?” I interrupted, not wanting to hear the end of that sentence. I pulled myself out from under Rob’s embrace, feeling the sudden need to separate myself. “I’m standing right here.”