Rule #18: Set Some Ground Rules

A/N:  The beginning of this chapter may sound a little (just a little) off to those of you, who've read the previous one before last Saturday (March 22), since I've made small changes in the last scene (and moved the last bit in this one) – I apologize for that.

Thanks for understanding! I hope you like the story so far!

---

It took me a great deal of inhaling and exhaling to return to reality. As I opened my eyes Jason was still pressed against me, his head bent above my shoulder. He was breathing with the same thirst for air as me and thankfully, we weren't standing in an ozone gap. After a moment, he straightened a little so he was facing me and laid his forehead on mine. He pressed the gentlest kiss imaginable on my lips, his fingers tracing the lines of my cheek.

"Are you okay?"

The look in his eyes was so tender that I was this close to lose myself in it. So, I chose teasing. "Is it supposed to pinch like that?"

He pulled away abruptly, his eyes widening and I could only hold my laugh for so long. "You had it coming!"

Jason frowned, cocking his head. An exaggerated breath left his nostrils. "You're one little devil, you know that?"

I grinned. "I learned from the best."

Jason gave me a pleased smile in return and detached himself from me. I rolled down my brunched-up dress as he went to fix his own appearance. The impact of what I had done didn't hit me until then. Not having his touch to keep me in that bubble where everything was simple, the real world forced its way on me.

It was more of a shock than anything else.

I had sex.

It wasn't just some drunken kiss in the spur of the moment – I had kissed people before. But this time I went all the way. With someone who wasn't Brandon.

I had never been with someone other than Brandon.

It was a strange feeling – the idea that that was no longer the case.

I never imagined it. Never thought it would happen. I always figured I'd be with Brandon for the rest of my life. I mean, I loved him.

I loved Brandon, but... I cheated.

My stomach turned upside down, cracking through the initial stupor. I cheated. I'd done the one thing that could make me lose him.

I peeked at Jason as we both bent to pick up our shoes. He was as collected as ever.

A sudden urge to launch at him stirred in me. To burrow my fists in his flesh. To hit him until I forget what I just did. Because it all started with him. Ever since I met him, everything became so confusing! Why did I feel like this around him? Like I wanted a part of him to always be connected to a part of me? Why did my body crave him when I knew in my consciousness I wanted to be with Brandon? I loved Brandon. I knew that. I never questioned that. So then why did I feel so weak around Jason?

Silence stretched between us as we set off to the hotel. My throat felt tight. I couldn't utter a word. Not that I had any idea what that word would be even if I could. Was there anything appropriate to say in situations like that? Hell, I never thought I'd find myself in one. I wasn't supposed to. I loved Brandon.

Yeah, keep telling that to yourself, Nicole!

I should have seen it. All the teasing comments, the meaningful looks, subtle and not so subtle touches. That stupid little demonstration of the simplicity of things. It was all practically foreplay. I should have figured it wouldn't end well.