Rule #30: Hush!

I had slept through almost the whole way back to the city. I still felt like I needed at least a day's sleep to recharge my batteries to the full when I opened my eyes. On top of the rest, it had been an exhausting trip.

'Miss Fitz, you have been delivered,' Rob announced jokingly as he pressed on the breaks. I looked around a little dazzled from the fact that I had just woken up. I noticed Jason was also asleep, his head leaning on the opposite window. He didn't budge when we stopped and just kept on breathing evenly. Maybe it was for the better.

'Thanks, guys,' I said quietly not wanting to wake him up and pushed the door open. Rob and Dan came out to help with my luggage. We exchanged quick byes and they returned in the car. I cast one last glance in Jason's direction as I waved at the boys. He was still in the same pose with his head propped against the window. Bye, Jason.

I turned to get inside and to my surprise the front door of our building flew open. Brandon stood in the threshold. I sort of froze. I was super confused of how I should react. He helped me sort through that when he stepped to me and engulfed me in a hug. At first I felt a little awkward but then I gave in. This was Brandon - my Brandon. I'd been in his arms plenty of time. It felt familiar.

I heard the tires roll on the asphalt behind me and when I looked over my shoulder, for a glimpse of a moment, I saw Jason. No longer propped against the window but watching us. With a blank expression. And then the car was gone.

'Come on,' Brandon beckoned, 'let's get you inside.'

I let him guide me to our apartment, not saying much. I was in a haze. The fatigue and whirlwind of emotions had warned me off. Brandon noticed I was acting a little differently but it was obvious I was really tired so I let him believe it was that.

'Why don't you get some rest?' Brandon suggested lovingly, 'We can have dinner later and you can tell me all about your trip.'

I felt my heart drop into my heels. If he knew... If he knew what I had done...

I nodded not really looking into his eyes and headed to the bedroom.

What was I going to do? What was I going to tell him?

I didn't even bother to switch my clothes. I just slumped on the bed. I was so worn off from everything that I just turned it off and closed my eyes.

I woke up to the smell of something roasting. It tickled my nose, teasingly. It smelled delicious. I rose from the bed and followed the aroma. It led me to the kitchen where at first I noticed only Brandon, standing in front of the oven in an apron. I stood there for a moment taking in the view. Not that he never cooked but with his job and all I hadn't seen him like that in a while.

'Hey, you're up,' he said as he saw me peeking through the half opened door. 'Go on, take a seat. I'm almost done.' He returned to stirring whatever was in the pan on the hot plate.

I pushed the door to fully open and that's when I was really taken aback by the view. Brandon had arranged the table with two sets of plates, tall glasses, candles and a bottle of champagne. It was really beautiful but also way too much for a simple welcome home dinner.

'Are we celebrating something?' I asked as I moved to take a seat.

'Maybe,' he answered vaguely and turned off the hot plate. He grabbed the pan and came to put some of its contents on our plates.

'It smells delicious,' I praised and he smiled. Brandon left the pan back on the stove and slipped out of the apron. I waited for him to pop the bottle of champagne open and pour some in our glasses. 'Seriously, what is this about?' I asked impatiently.

He sat in the seat beside me and lifted his glass, smiling mischievously. 'Can't I just do something special for my girl?'

His girl... Yeah...

'So how was your vacation?' he had taken advantage of my distraction and asked the question I dreaded he'd ask.

What he didn't know couldn't hurt him, I remembered one of those stupid rules. I wasn't telling him about any of it.

'I know you're up to something,' I avoided the question. 'Spill!'

'You won't let me do this properly, will you?' Brandon protested. He sighed, 'Okay.' I waited for him to continue. 'I know I've been pretty busy this past year and even though you're not showing it, I know you're probably not too happy about it.'

'I know it's not up to you.' Where was this going?

'Wait. I'm not finished.' I hushed. 'I know right now I'm not around much but I promise that will change once I prove myself in the office. I just want you to know that my feelings for you haven't changed.' This was getting scary. 'We've been together for six years and I still love you like the first time I said it. I can't imagine my life without you.'

Now it became really scary.

Brandon went down on one knee, pulling a little box out of his pocket and grabbed my hand.

'Nicole Fitz, will you marry me?'