Chapter 10: The Bells of Victory

Chapter 10: the bells of victory

~Once upon a time, there was a savage and ruthless kingdom. The one sitting at the top, was my very cute sibling.~

While he was waiting for his execution, he had enough time to carve the story on the walls of his cell. He hoped she was able to escape. A tear rolled from his cheek. He never thought his life would end like this. Why did his life change like this? At first he was just a normal orphan kid, but suddenly he found out who were his relatives. He found out his twin sister was the Queen of this country. Even though she was feared, he loved her with all his heart. He loved her so much that he was prepared to give up his life for her. He always learned nobody could come between two twins, and it was right. Even though he loved  Miku so much, he loved his sister more. She was a part of him, they shared the same blood. Even now, he felt like she was with him. She would always be by his side. He put his hand on the carved wall, looking at the story. He imagined how people would tell this story to each other, through generations. Their story was timeless. It would reach out to all four nations, maybe even beyond and even in the future they would talk about how Rin was the most beautiful and cute Queen and how sad it was for her. Maybe they would understand what she'd been through. She maybe didn't do the best things for her people and others, but she had been scared and was probably dying from regret right now. 'It isn't her fault,' kept running through his mind, 'it's mine!'

Len shivered while seeing that giant blade of the guillotine. Meiko and Kaito stood next to him. Len never thought he would die this way, and certainly not in a dress. Still, he didn't care anymore. Miku was gone and if he had to give up his life to protect Rin, so be it. They were twins after all. He was the big brother, so he had to. He saw the crowd in front of him and even saw his friend standing there, shouting 'death to the Queen' with the rest. He smirked. Everyone thought he was Rin, so nobody would search for her and they would leave her alone. It was a small sacrifice in order to let her be safe. Meiko lay her hand on his shoulder and escorted him to the front.

"I know you aren't the Queen, " she whispered in his ear. "You can't fool me. Rin is a tyrant, and I'll make sure she'll be erased from the world. So don't think you saved her." Len didn't say anything. She would never reach his sister. Al least that's what he hoped. It was almost 3 o'clock. The bells would announce when it was time. Len just stood there with all the pride that was left in him. He didn't watch the crowd anymore. It wasn't over yet. It wasn't over for her. She was alive. He would see her again. He would run to her and hug her, smell her vanilla perfume again. See her innocent eyes again. He was sure he would. He put his head up and kneeled down. He had to be strong to not shed some tears. He was the evil Queen now, so he couldn't cry, even though he wanted to. He wanted to cry with all his heart. He wanted to live, but this was the end. No more smiling faces in front of him. No more light, only darkness. Within some seconds, he would only see black in front of his eyes. He would be gone. He just wished he would live. He didn't want anything anymore, but live. Still, he knew he couldn't. 'Think about why you do this, Len,' he encouraged himself. 'Think about Rin! Think about her!' He placed his head on the dirty and restraining assembly. It smelled like coagulated blood. There was nobody who could save him now. He watched the place in front of him once more. The world would fade away for him, but it was alright. He accepted his fate, even though he was scared. That was when he saw her. That girl ran to the crowd, but didn't dare to come any closer. She just stood there, half-covered by a tree. She wore a cloak to protect her identity, but he knew who she was. He was happy to see her blue eyes. Rin was here. She was out of breath, but her eyes were staring at him. It was the only one he dared to face at the time. She smiled, but the tears and sadness stood in her eyes. She couldn't hide the sorrow, but he was happy to see her smile once more, for the very last time. It was almost time. He could almost hear the bells. The same sound they were blessed with by birth, would also separate them.

"You know, I'm not that different from her," meiko finally said and gave the signal to lower the blade. He gazed upon his little sister, and smiled back for the very last time. 'This isn't the end!'

~Even if the entire world would become your enemy, I will protect you. So just be happy somewhere else.~ This was written on that wall, trying to reach her...

Rin heard the bells. It was over, all over. He was gone. Len was gone. He wasn't here anymore. Why did he leave her? How could he? Her thoughts overcame with sadness, sorrow and pain. She wanted him back. 'Please, give Len back.' But nobody heard her. She was all alone. What had she done? Why was she so evil? Why didn't she see it? Why didn't she see what she did to him? She was the one to blame. She should've stood there. She should've died. She was the one. She couldn't suppress her tears. Why was she so blind? She loved him! She loved her brother! He was everything to her. Then why? Why was she so mean to him? She forced him to kill. She forced him to do things, he didn't want to do, but he did it just for her. She was the one who's head should be lying there. Who's blood should've been shed there. She was the one that should lie there. She only thought about herself. She never thought about someone else. She should have. If she did, none of this would have happened. All the remorse pained her. How could anyone be so blind by vengeance? How could she still live, knowing her brother gave up his life for her sins? She didn't know, but for now, she just wanted to cry alone...