Chapter 10 - "Give me love"

72 hours ago Lucas was breaking up with Riley in his car, right in front of her house. Now he was sitting there behind the kissing booth. She knew she didn't have a right to be upset, they were no longer together and he was the one to end things with her so why did she care? Why was it causing her to boil over with rage? Or maybe it was jealousy? Did she really mean that little to him that three days after their breakup he would volunteer to get kissed by the entire female population of their school?

Maybe Josh was right after all, maybe Lucas was bad news. She thought.

He was right about one thing for sure, Lucas would end up hurting her. And he did.

"Earth to Riiiley." Maya waves her hand in front of her friend's glare.

"Huh? Oh sorry I...spaced." She says blinking heavily.

Charlie followed Riley's gaze to where Lucas was, "You're not actually considering buying a ticket to kiss Lucas Friar...are you?"

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

The fundraiser starts and a crowd of students, faculty and family all gather in the gym. Everyone seems to be having a great time. So far Riley and Charlie have earned $60 with their shirt creations, at $4 a pop. The people attending seem to be more interested in the baking booths and to her dismay, the kissing booth.

She's fixated on the line of girls waiting to kiss the newly single baseball player. She watches as Lucas and another one of his teammates switch places.

"Anybody want some snacks? I'm going to get some snacks." Riley gets up and walks over to Lucas who's drinking a bottle of water in the corner near the doors.

"A kissing booth? That's really original." She says crossing her arms.

"Yeah well I figured if you can move on that quick then I should have a little fun."

"Move on? What are you talking about?" She drops her defensive stance and steps a little closer.

"I saw you yesterday at lunch. With my stepbrother's arm wrapped around you."

"I told you a hundred times Charlie and I are just friends. Why don't you believe me?"

"Once." His voice cold, "You told me once."

"There is nothing going on with me and your brother. He just broke up with Sarah and..."

"Oh don't be so naïve Riley." He snapped back.

He could tell the second he saw her face drop that he messed up.

All she manages to get out is a soft wow before heading back to her friends.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

Once the fundraiser is over, everyone starts cleaning up. The Tie-Dye shirts brought in $180. Despite her little spat with Lucas, Riley was actually pretty pleased with how the day turned out.

"We should all go get some grub" Charlie suggests. "I'll drive."

Riley's parents were out of town with Auggie and they left Josh in charge. He didn't care what time Riley came home just as long as she came home. So the five of them grab some food at shake shack and occupy the empty playground at the park. The sun was already gone and there wasn't any kids there so they take advantage of the empty swing set and monkey bars.

Riley sips her milkshake silently twisting around on one of the swings.

Charlie plops down next to her, "I'm really glad you came back."

"I'm glad I came back too." She admits.

She stares up at the moon, waiting for someone to break the shared awkward silence.

She can feel his eyes burning into her skull. She allows her mind to wander and for a moment she gets it. She can see how someone might think there was something going on between them. If Lucas wasn't in the picture, this would've been a great night. Sitting under the stars with a cute boy. But the reality of the situation wasn't as romantic. She wasn't just sitting in the dark with a cute boy, she was at the park with her oldest group of friends, with cheese fry breath.

Charlie grabs hold of her swing pulling her towards him, "I really like you, Riley."

It was all too familiar. The green eyes, the dreamy smirk. The moonlight danced on his face as he leaned in closer. The familiarity was comforting but she couldn't bring herself to do it.

He just wasn't Lucas.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

After dropping his friends off at home Charlie merrily skips through his house, setting his keys on the counter. His step brother was laid out on the sofa watching reruns. It was already 11 o'clock so the house was quiet except for the low humming of the television.

Lucas notices the boy's smile and his curiosity gets the best of him. "Why are you so happy?"

Charlie sighs, as he pours himself some milk. "Riley man...she's just great."

Lucas feels a knot in his stomach. Of course it was Riley. He should have suspected that. Especially after calling her naïve today.

"You guys finally get together?" He tried to play it off like he didn't care but truth be told it was eating at him.

"Mhm." Charlie smiles, "She's got the softest lips." He finishes off his milk and trots upstairs to his room.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

When Riley gets to her place she makes herself some hot chocolate, much like the ones she used to get with Lucas every morning before school, and settles in for the night. After letting Josh know she got home okay, she walks to her bedroom, hot chocolate in one hand and good book in the other. She turns on her speaker and lets the music fill her room.

She's finishing off her first chapter when she hears a tapping noise coming from her window. She looks up and sees Lucas sitting outside. She unlocks it and stands by idly as he stumbles inside.

"Is it true?" He asks, standing to his feet.

Riley shakes her head in confusion, "is what true?"

"You and him got together?" His voice was shaky like he'd been running.

"Who's him?"

"Charlie! Are you guys together?"

"What? No! Did he tell you that?"

Lucas was a lot more calmed now, "He said you guys kissed."

"Well he lied...he tried to kiss me but I couldn't..."

"Why not?" He stared at her with those light green eyes.

"Because..."

"Because what?" He stepped closer, brushing his fingertips against her arms.

"Because he wasn't you."

As soon as those words left her mouth she felt his hands grabbing on her waist. She melted into his touch, feeling his lips on hers. A flood of emotions washed over her. She didn't feel numb anymore. Chills ran down her body as his fingers entangled in her hair.

They stayed like that for a few minutes, before he pulls away breathing into her, "What about your parents?"

She breaks away from his grasp and locks the door. "They're not home." She smiles.

He brings her back over, pressing his body against hers as he kisses down her neck. She pulls off his shirt, letting her hands trace his chest.

"Are you sure?" – "Yes." She breathes deeply.

He starts to undress her as they make their way to her bed.

The music muffling out the sound of their love.

♪ All I want is the taste that your lips allow - my my - give me love. ♪