19

Several days later I found myself hurrying to keep up with Maddox's long-legged stride in downtown Winchester. The sun was just beginning to set, bathing us in a red-hued glow.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

Maddox grabbed my hand and drug me down the street. Apparently I wasn't walking fast enough for him. As per usual he was dressed in jeans—with his drumsticks in the back pocket—a black t-shirt, and a beanie.

"If I told you that it would spoil the surprise." He glanced at me over his shoulder, his lips rising in a smile.

Damn these surprises.

I narrowed my eyes before he looked away. "Will this surprise also send me running down the street screaming?"

He chuckled. "I don't know...depends on what you're afraid of. You did tell me you'd jump out of a plane with me, and I don't think this is nearly as scary as that."

"I really don't like not knowing what this is," I growled. Something told me I wasn't going to like what he had planned.

"My lips are sealed."

"I'm going to unseal them," I grumbled.

He merely laughed at me.

He finally stopped and opened the door to a local coffee shop. I knew this place.

"Oh, hell to the no," I pried my hand from his. "I know what you're trying to do and it's not happening." I shook my head.

"Emma," he groaned—he rarely ever used my whole name so I knew he was serious—"People deserve to hear our song. I want to see their reactions."

I sputtered, "Absolutely not." I didn't consider myself a shy person, I just wasn't social, but putting myself on a stage singing in front of people seemed too much for even me.

"Em," he reached up to tenderly cup my cheek, the sweet look in his eyes nearly melting. "Please do this for me."

Oh God, he was giving me the puppy dog eyes. I almost expected his bottom lip to turn down.

He leaned in closer, brushing his nose along the line of my jaw. "Please," he begged again.

My eyes fluttered closed and I let out a small moan. "You're not playing fair."

"I never said I would."

"Fine, I'll do it." I gave in easily. I had to trust Maddox when he said the song was good—and really that's what scared me more than singing, the fact that this song came from my heart.

Maddox grinned triumphantly. "Thank you." He kissed me quickly, pulling away before things could get heated.

He stepped away from me to open the door to Griffin's—the local coffee shop/restaurant...it was kind of a weird place where mostly teenagers and college students hung out—and I instantly missed the heat of his body.

Upon stepping inside I was met with the heavenly sent of coffee and cake.

"Hey, Griffin," Maddox called to the burly owner, who manned the register.

He lifted his hand in a small wave. "You guys playing today?" He asked.

"No, just us." Maddox slung an arm around my shoulders.

Griffin chuckled. "I'm kinda relieved your brother isn't here. I had to break up a fight the last time he was."

Maddox sighed beside me. "Sorry about that."