Chapter 14 - Something Wrong With Me

The two days since had gone by slowly, almost hazily. I couldn't make out one event from another, and time seemed to evade me so that I was here tonight, staring at the numbers of a clock with unease. It had been like this for a while now, and I was growing tired of sitting and staring, losing myself in my thoughts for moments at a time.

He had not made a sound.

I had not seen him at the lounge last night, for the second time in a row, and although I didn't work today and did not expect to see him, I had not received a single call or message. I wasn't sure why I had been expecting, or hoping for, something different.

I pushed myself to head to the shower, where I took my time tending to my every need. Afterward I was searching through my closet for appropriate clothing, and decided upon a dark navy blouse and black blazer. The jeans I chose were nearly as black, and my shoes consisted of a pair of small, gray boots.

I took to my hair and makeup after I was dressed, only to find that I had finished much too quickly with my preparations, and started pacing around the house, trying to find something to do. Maybe a book, I thought, picking out A Tale of Two Cities. It came as no surprise that I couldn't get past the first page.

Sighing in resignation, I looked at the time. He would be here any minute now. Clay. I was suddenly nauseated.

Quickly I went to the kitchen and put a cup of water to heat, tossing inside a little London tea bag, adding too much sugar. It did wonders to calm me, the scent and the warmth, and it soothed my mind enough so that I was able to form rational, coherent conclusions.

For one thing, this was just a date. I didn't date much, but when I did, I was never this nervous. I was sound enough to acknowledge that Clay wasn't the reason for my agitation. Instead it was the other man, the rascal with those green eyes, that was causing these feelings of complete derailment. For what reason I could never be sure. Yet I still wondered, why I was so shaken. Was it simply because of Emmett's reaction to this date, and my inherent distaste for making him unhappy? Or because I knew something about tonight, rooted deep inside my belly, that I could not face if I was going to stay a sane person?

Whatever it was, I shoved it aside. I reminded myself of the woman I used to be, just weeks ago, calm and collected and free. I summoned her, if only for the night.

The knocking at my front door was firm, but quiet. I drank the rest of the tea in one toss and jumped to my feet, opening the door. The slight draft of air that entered the house had me thankful for my choice of clothing.

Clay stood by the door frame, dressed impeccably in a tan long-sleeve shirt that accentuated his coloring and musculature, and casual black pants. He grinned at me softly, the gesture illuminating his already handsome face. My eyes were drawn to the slight wave of his blonde hair, casually tussled backwards.

Just the way I liked it, on Emmett.

"Hi," I greeted, smiling at him. "Come in, let me grab my purse."

I took the stairs to my bedroom, taking a small black cross-body and tossing inside my phone, my wallet, and the nude lipstick I was wearing.

I did my best to walk as gracefully as I could downstairs. He was standing patiently by the door, and he must have heard my footsteps, because he looked up at me at that instant, his lips curving softly in appreciation.

He had potential. I could really like him. But my heart wasn't speeding, my blood wasn't warming. There was only a slight flutter of worry in my heart as I went to stand beside him.

"You look handsome," I commented. "Tan suits you."

He grinned at me, shaking his head. "I should be complementing you. You look stunning. I'm paling in comparison."