Chapter 4

Raven-

Raven felt confused stares aimed right at her. They made her skin itch, while hostile ones made her skin burn as hot as the pavement in summer.

It had been one day since the video was shown. Raven hadn't failed to also notice the rough treatment of Dexter, either. Stink bombs in his locker (SO immature. Really?), "accidental" pushes and shoves, and a few death threats. She suddenly snapped back to her Muse-ic class when the teacher slapped his desk and yelled "Raven! Wake up!"

"Yes, Professor?"

"Please sing Tailor Quick's Fabled Love for the class."

Raven muttered an okay and stood up. She felt all eyes on her as she walked down to the front of the class. She faced all the students in their desks. Why me? I'm not a perfect princess destined for a Happily Ever After. He's never asked for me to... Oh, he hasn't heard me sing. The professor turned on the music (without the words) and Raven began to sing. Anyone talking immediately stopped and watched Raven. To them, her voice was a flowing river, and what it made them feel was a blissful joy. Even the hard-core Royals in the class begrudgingly thought She's better than Apple. When the song was done, everyone was speechless, even the professor. Raven stiffened a little, embarrassed. Just as she was starting to think she was awful, someone began to clap. Soon, the room was filled with applause, stomps, whistles, and cheers.

Raven smiled as tears of joy welled in her eyes. The smile earned even more applause, if that was even possible. Class went on after she returned to her seat, and she received many notes saying that she had a great voice. A couple said she had an even better smile! This was the closest she had been to acceptance at Ever After High. The thronework assignment, however, stumped her. Write a song with original music, mix it, and have it ready on a CD in a week? Raven groaned as she wrote it down. After class, though, the stares went back to normal, as if that Muse-ic class never happened.

-Dexter-

(after classes)

"What? The professor let Raven sing in Muse-ic class?! That's great!" Dexter exclaimed.

Dexter didn't take Muse-ic class (due to the fact that he thought he was a bad singer), but someone (*cough* *cough* Melody Piper *cough* *cough*) had videoed Raven and posted it on MyChapter. Now, a lot of people knew, and Hunter, who knew from Ashlynn, told Dexter about the video.

Dexter was in his dorm, trying not to let the roughness directed at him in the halls get to him. Then, Hunter barged in and shoved his MirrorPad in Dexter's face and forced him to watch it, saying "Dude, it's Raven! She's singing!". He watched the video with Hunter. If Dexter's love for Raven could get even stronger, it did as he watched. Raven was lots of things, like being selfless, compassionate, and brave, but he didn't know she could sing. And her smile! It brightened up the whole room. Dexter sighed, smiling absentmindedly. He didn't see Hunter's hand waving in front of his face, or hear Hunter asking if he was there. Suddenly, Dexter's MirrorPhone beeped. It was a hext from Raven. He snapped out of it and looked at the screen.

Hey. U know why evrybdy complimenting me? Cuz I dont. Plz tell if u know?

Dexter laughed. Raven was great, but she could be, at times, well... clueless.

"What is it? Did someone send you a joke or something?" Hunter asked. Dexter simply showed the screen. Soon, they were both laughing. "Man, ... Raven is great... and all, don't get me wrong, but,... wow, she... HAS to be... hard on herself if she... doesn't realize why." Hunter gasped out after they were done laughing. "I know." Dexter wheezed. His MirrorPhone beeped again, also from Raven.

Can we meet in Charmitorium in 20 min? havin trouble with thronework for Muse-ic.

Dexter looked at Hunter and said "Raven? The great singer having trouble with her Muse-ic thronework?" And the friends began laughing all over again.

-Apple-

Apple stormed past the students in the halls of Ever After High. She was looking for a certain wooden girl to speak to. Apple shoved some students out of her way and saw Cedar talking with Cerise by a locker. Apple walked up and hid in a dark corner, watching as Cerise and Cedar parted, and Cedar going her way. Apple's hand shot out, grabbed Cedar with her hand covering her mouth, and pulled her into the dark corner.

"Where is Raven?" Apple hissed into the cold, wooden girl's ear.

"Mmph, mm.. she'sintheCharmitorium!" Cedar said, obviously trying not to tell Apple.

"Good, and tell anybody about this and I will chase you with an axe!" Apple roughly shoved the guilty Cedar back into the hallway. Apple watched Cedar stumble a little before gaining her balance and continuing. Apple smirked, thinking Ha! Just you wait, Raven! You may be famous for your little singing video, but, soon, you will sign, and I will gain my Happily Ever After!

-Raven-

Raven heard the doors to the Charmitorium open and saw Dexter enter. She stood up and waved him over, saying "Over here!" Dexter's face brightened when he saw her and he ran to her seat. As he sat down, he said, "Uh... hi, Raven, uh... h-here's why every one was complimenting you." Raven set the MirrorPad Dexter handed her on her lap and pressed the play button for the video. She watched herself sing, heard everyone's applause, and saw her smile. "Dex, why would anyone compliment me on this video? All I did was do what the professor asked." Dex laughed good-naturedly at her remark. "Because, Rae, you are one of the most talented singers anybody knows! Anyone who didn't compliment you would have to be crazy, and not the Maddie way."

"Really, Dex?"

"Yep."

Dex smiled, and they looked into each other's eyes until it became sort of awkward. Dexter, realizing this, quickly looked at his knees and adjusted his glasses. "So, uh, Raven, what did you need help on for Muse-ic?"

"Dex, I'm supposed to write a song to original lyrics by next week, and I have lyrics and I think I can play some instruments, but I don't know how to put it on a computer and put it together, know what I mean?"

"Yep, if you want to play separate instruments one at a time, then sing with no music, then mix it so it's one fluid song, then, yeah, I can help you there." He was about to continue, but a figure ,cloaked in black, that they hadn't noticed (they were staring at a MirrorPad!) grabbed him by the mouth and pressed the edge of a dagger to Dexter's throat. Raven's hands turned purple, about to cast a spell, but an evil-sounding voice that sounded as if it was once sweet hissed, "If you cast a spell, make one move, or scream, I will kill this little dork you are so attached to." And, suddenly, everything made since; Raven realized that the figure was Apple.

Sorry about the cliffhanger! You will see what happens next chapter! So, for now, please review and tell me where I could improve! :-)