Chapter 52 || After

Start from the beginning

I sighed and looked up at him, knowing that if I don't come up with something, he might snap, but also knowing that I was going to have to tell him the truth sooner or later.

"They would've loved you, they're just out of town," I lied, hoping that he wouldn't be able to see past yet another excuse.

"Would've? Why the past tense?" He questioned, obviously figuring out that there was a lot more to the story than what I was letting on.

I inwardly groaned as I figured that the truth had to come out now, but the mere thought of having to face the reality brought tears in my eyes, myself no longer able to believe the lies I told everyone else in order to make me forget about what I did to them.

"They don't remember me," I whispered, looking down.

If I said that sentence in public, most people would assume they went through some sort of brain trauma, causing them to loose their memory. But Draco wasn't like most people, and he was so much smarter than everyone else, making the truth be one of the first things to come to his mind.

"You obliviated them?" This time he yelled, causing some heads to turn our way, but they brushed it off as both a slang word and a typical teenaged relationship-based argument.

But the harshness of his words, or perhaps they just sounded that way to me, made the tears that I tried to hide fall down my cheeks as I stormed out of the cafe, not even bothering to thank or say goodbye to the waitresses. I continued to walk down the street, my hand covering my mouth as I tried to contain the sobs that kept on passing through my lips.

I found a small gap between two buildings, and I ran up there, leaning against the wall as I took in desperate breaths that came out as loud cries. Draco found me not even a minute later, and although I wished that he would've just walked past me, I wasn't surprised to see him standing there.

He grabbed onto my arm almost immediately, and pulled out his wand, apparating the both of us into our flat. But the seconds after the crack had sounded were almost as bad as torture, the silence creating tension so thick you could almost see it.

Draco was the first to speak, although that fact didn't surprise me, himself always making sure to get every question in his head answered, although only recently he began to ask them out loud.

"So you obliviated your parents, and they have absolutely no memory of you, and you did that willingly, knowing the consequences," He started, running his hand through his hair whilst talking, "So why did you do it? And when did you do it?"

"I removed all the memories they had of me, and replaced them with the idea that they were going to be moving to Australia. I sent them there because it was far enough across the world for Voldemort," I said his name with utter bitterness, "to not find them. But in case he or one of his followers did, I removed all their memories so they wouldn't get killed because of me," I explained in a small voice, feeling the tears roll down my already at cheeks, "As for when, it was the end of sixth year, before the fall of the ministry and the start of the hunt for horcruxes, but already after he made his mark by killing Dumbledore."

Draco tensed up when I mentioned our old headmaster's name, but I guess that the scars were still fresh for him, especially after everything he's been though.

He didn't say anything for a long three minutes, but I didn't dare interrupt the time he needed to take to process what I had just told him. But the response he came up with was not what I was expecting.

"Well let's leave tonight and go get their memories back," Draco exclaimed, his voice so determined just to try and cheer me up, but the small spark in his eye diminished the second I shook my head no.

"You can't, Draco," I mumbled, but he wouldn't take that as an answer.

"Why the hell not? It's not like we'll be missing anything important in our miserable lives," The blonde responded, almost harshly.

"It's not that simple," I told him flatly, but I could tell by the darkening of his eyes that he didn't accept nor believe what I was saying.

"You're the brightest fucking witch of our goddamn age, you always accept the challenge. Or are you too scared that you might not know how the fuck to cure what you've done," Draco growled.

Instead of recoiling back at his words like I used to, I stood up straighter and yelled right back at him, not even taking a moment to realise what was coming from my mouth.

"Oh I'm sorry that I've already tried to fix them, only finding out that I couldn't reverse what your stupid master made me do!" I screamed at him, my voice cracking with multiple emotions.

Draco, however, just stood there visibly shocked, and I couldn't help but wonder if it was because I hadn't used until then what he was forced into as an insult since I found out about the truth of why he was who he was. But then, for the first time in literal history, he didn't react to those words, instead he walked over to me and pulled my sobbing self into his warm arms.

"I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry that I couldn't be there with you when you did it. And I'm sorry that it didn't work," He whispered, holding onto me tighter.

"And I'm sorry for being such a bitch," I mumbled into his chest, tears still falling but my breathing had calmed down.

I could feel him chuckle as he placed a kiss on the crown of my head.

"I love you, so I guess all of your bitchiness comes with the deal of having Hermione Jean Granger all to myself," He whispered, and I could picture the smirk on his face, and sure enough, as I pulled back so I could see his features, that trademark smirk was grazing upon his lips.

I chuckled and shook my head, knowing two can play at the game he loves to play.

"But I love you too, so it makes up for every bad part of me you get," I smiled, and although it was just a retort to what he said, we both knew it was true for the both of us, and the grin that lit up his face made one that was almost identical in size to cross my features too.

"That it does," He whispered before bringing his head down to make our lips meet.