Chapter 32 || Year 5

Draco's POV-

I couldn't get her out of my head; her bushy brunette hair and chocolate brown eyes, but mainly the words she spoke to me whilst I was in the hospital wing months ago. We haven't had had an ordinary conversation since, insults and death glares as we passed each other in the hall or in class being the only interaction shared between the both of us.

There were rumours going around the day after that quidditch match that Hermione was crying down by the black lake, which made me even more guilty knowing that I was the one who caused the tears. But what she would never have to know was that she caused tears of my own to fall that night.

I clenched my fists but was thankfully pulled out of my string of thoughts by Crabbe who was tapping me on the shoulder, pointing to the entrance door in front of us. I looked over at Goyle who had his ear pressed against it, even though you could hear everything going on in the hall from where I was standing. Which also meant I could hear her voice.

"Lording it over all the other teachers, the stupid puffed-up, power-crazy old-"

"Do you really want to finish that sentence, Granger?" I cut her off, sneering as I stepped into her view, Potter, Weasley, and the Hufflepuff's Macmillan standing beside her, "Afraid I'm going to have to dock a few points from Gryffindor and Hufflepuff,"

"It's only teachers who can dock points from houses, Malfoy," Macmillan responded quickly, narrowing his eyes.

"Yeah, we're prefects, too, remember?" Weasley added, snarling.

"I know prefects can't dock points, Weasel King," I snickered, "But members of the Inquisitorial Squad-"

"The what?" Hermione asked sharply, her eyes filled with menace.

"The Inquisitorial Squad, Granger. A select group
of students who are supportive of the Ministry of Magic, hand-picked by Professor Umbridge. Anyway, members of the Inquisitorial Squad do have the power to dock points ... so, Granger, I'll have five from you from being rude about our new headmistress," loathing started to mix with her menacing glare, "Macmillan, five for contradicting me. Five because I don't like you, Potter. Weasley, your shirt's untucked, so I'll have another five for that," The four friends looked as though they were trying their hardest not to start a war in the corridor, but I just couldn't help myself with the next sentence that came tumbling out of my mouth, "Oh yeah, I forgot, you're a Mudblood, Granger, so ten off for that,"

Hermione momentary froze but only for a brief second as her her attention turned to Weasley who was pulling out his wand from his robe's pockets.

"Don't," She whispered to Weasley, raising an eyebrow as if daring the ginger to do anything.

"Wise move, Granger," I breathed, thankful that she stepped in, but when I saw the look in her eye, I wished that Weasley had sent a hex my way, "New head, new times. Watch yourself now Potty ... Weasel King ..."

It was the only semi-insulted farewell that came to my head as I walked away, fake chuckling, not even able to mention her. Once I was out of their view, I dropped the smirk and put up the walls in my head so neither Crabbe or Goyle could read my emotions, although the both of them are that dumb that the two of them combined couldn't tell what feeling was running through me if my life depended on it.

Which I was glad for.

Because after that brunette Gryffindor locked eyes with mine, every ounce of my smugness washed away as I saw that spark of deep hurt when I called her that name that might as well be a nickname for her with the amount of times I call her it. The insult I threw at her rebounded and hit me ten times harder than it did her, causing me to feel something a Malfoy should never feel.

Regret.

Regret for every time I broke her apart and expected her to mend the pieces herself. Regret for doing it too many times, causing her to do the heart-shattering instead of me; cutting off all her kind connections with me, all because I couldn't stand to let my feelings and emotions overpower the rules and tradition I know.

But even then I knew that wasn't the full and proper reason.

It was because I was scared. I was scared of love; of the love I have for the Gryffindor, as much as it killed me to admit it. I was scared of how she was literally changing me without herself even trying, That exact fact made me terrified, so the only remedy I know was to act harsh in hopes that the feelings would just disappear.

But I knew that would never happened.

Because life never goes exactly the way we want it, no matter how hard we try to make it to or how much we want it to, it just doesn't happen.

And here I am, the pathetic Malfoy heir; the only Malfoy heir; the one who has always put on a mask to make himself look superior to everyone else, especially to people like her.

Always to people like her.

The only one who ever understood who I am and my feelings beneath the thick wall that I constantly build.

Hermione Granger. The only one who knew but doesn't anymore.

Hermione Granger. The only one who cared but doesn't anymore.

Hermione Granger. The only one who ever truly loved me, but not anymore.

All because I was a pathetic, cowardly follower.

And now I've lost her.

The only one who took my heart, I lost, and she still has my heart in her hands, crushing it slowly, painfully.

Just like I suspected I was doing to her.