Chapter 34 || Year 5

Draco's POV-

I stormed through the Hospital Wing, ignoring the stares I was getting from all the patients. I walked up to Ginny's bed; Potter conscious but paying no attention to me or anyone, his eyes glazed over. Weasley was unconscious, marks what looked like ropes marked into his skin; Longbottom and Luna were talking quietly amongst themselves. Ginny looked up at me, guilt evident in her eyes, but all I felt was rage at the ginger-haired girl.

"You promised to keep her safe, Weasley, but you didn't," I spat at her, ignoring her flinch.

"I'm sorry Draco-"

"No!" I cut her off, raising my voice, "You promised me, and you broke your promise. Madam Pomfrey doesn't know when she'll wake or if she even will!"

"I know, you don't understand how terrible I feel for not going with her-"

"No Weasley, this isn't about your regret for leaving her with Potter and even worse, Longbottom. This is about how you did leave her with them, allowing her to practically get herself killed trying to protect the two people you thought she would be safe with," I growled, my voice cracking.

"I'm so sorry, Draco," Ginny sighed, a lone tear slipping out if her eye when she glanced over at Hermione's pale and limp body on the be next to hers.

"What even happened to her?" I asked, lowering my voice to a whisper.

"Harry said a death eater drew a purple flame against her chest, and she just fell down," Ginny mumbled.

"No," I gasped, falling into my knees beside Ginny's bed.

"Draco? What was it?" Ginny asked, her eyes wide as she got if her bed to kneel down next to me.

"That flame, I've read about it before. It's dark magic, almost as dark ad the unforgivables. There is a strong possibility she won't wake up because it's meant to kill you," I explained, my voice breaking as tears began to fall down my cheeks.

I walked over to Hermione's bed, kneeling down next to it, not bothering to pull the curtains around or cast a silencing spell. I grabbed her cold hand, bringing it to my lips.

"I'm so, so sorry, Hermione," I sobbed quietly, ignoring Ginny's sympathetic glare.

For once I didn't care who saw me with my defence walls down, all I cared about was the possible dying brunette laying motionless in front of me.

"Just if I went there to help you, maybe I could of saved you. But then again, I'm too much of a fucking coward to do anything to save you. All I'm good at is hurting you, and it kills me too. Please just wake up, Hermione, I can't loose you," I cried, tears flowing freely down my cheeks for anyone to see.

I laid my head on the edge of the bed and grabbed ahold of her hand, barely feeling her weak and uneven pulse. I let out what sounded like a sob mixed with a howl, but nothing could erase the guilt that was running through me.

I wrapped my fingers around her frail ones; more loud sobs escaping past my lips.

"She'll wake up, I know she will," Ginny whispered to me, kneeling down next to me.

I couldn't bare the emotional pain anymore; everything just became too much for me to handle. I flung my arms around Ginny, not caring about my pride or the stupid Malfoy name and expectations I had to uphold, because all it does is get the only person who I would give my own life to in danger. Ginny hugged me back almost immediately and stroked my back carefully as I sobbed against her shoulder, my cries become more louder and more desperate as each minute passed.

"I love her too much, Ginny. I can't let her go. I can't let her die," I whimpered.

"I know, Draco, I know you love her, and she loves you. Even though the both of you are unaware of each other's love for one another, it's a bond I've never seen before. And that's how I know she'll wake up, she loves you to much to leave you," The female Weasley explained.

"Just like you and Potter, you will always fight beside him, no matter the consequences, because you love him, and love beats every other chain that holds you back and tells you to let him go," I mumbled, looking up at the ginger.

"Exactly," She whispered, hurt crossing her features as she looked over at Potter, his eyes still gazing off into the distance, paying zero attention to his surroundings.

"What happened out there?" I asked quietly.

Ginny took a long breath before answering, her eyes determined not to cry.

"We fought off so many death eaters, to them, there wasn't many, but to us, it was almost triple the amount of them than us. Luna just got a few hexes and curses thrown at her, Neville got his face shattered and wand broken, an he had the cruciatus curse on him. I just got curses and a broken ankle, but Ron on the other hand got some curse on him that made him absolutely crazy. That resulted in him touching these brains that almost strangled him to death. That's why he's got all the red marks everywhere,"Ginny explained.

"And Potter?" I asked softky, a tone I would never use.

"Your aunt, Bellatrix, killed Sirius. Then You-Know-Who possessed Harry. And that's all that I saw, but I assume there was a lot more than I know, but Harry hasn't spoken a word to any of us. It was brutal, and it wasn't even a war," Ginny sighed.

"And was my," I swallowed, "was my father there?"

"Yes he was there, but he didn't to anything directly to Hermione, if that's what you want to know," She answered.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and rested the back of my head on Hermione's hospital bed.

"If you want to stay here tonight, you can sleep in my bed. I can go with Luna-"

"No, I'm going to stay right here, next to Hermione. I'm not letting her go again," I said determinedly, turning around to face the brunette whilst once again holding onto her hand.

"Sure," Ginny smiled softly, nodding in understanding.

I mumbled a thanks and looked at Hermione, her eyes still closed and her chest showing barely any signs of movement.

"Good night, Hermione," I whispered, kissing her forehead before resting my head on Hermione's bed, her hand still in mine.

That whole night consisted of me praying to myself to let Hermione wake up, even if it meant I had to sacrifice myself.

And one constant thought kept on running through my head.

A thought that I could never act upon without being killed myself for it.

And I'm too much of a coward to try to change that.

Always a coward.

I'm sorry, Hermione Granger.

I love you, Hermione Granger.