Part 20 (1)

I woke up to blinding white lights that made everything blurry and fuzzy. My head felt dizzy making it almost worse. It took me a moment to focus but after a moment I was able to understand that I was in a hospital room. My entire body felt sore. Like every muscle and tendon had been stretched too far. 

I tried to lift my head to assess what exactly I was doing there but as soon as I moved my head it immediately started pounding painfully. I closed my eyes out of paint and The flashbacks of being taken hostage, being tortured, and Barney taking me to the plane came back. I honestly hated being the damsel in distress but I was needless to say thankful that Barney had saved me. 

I turned my head and saw a sleeping Barney Ross quietly. I smiled softly, he looked so peacefully happy. He had a bandage on the side of his neck, something must have cut him good but at least missed the jugular. He looked younger in his sleep but doesn't everyone? 

" ... Barney..?" I said out loud trying to gain his attention but my throat was as dry as sandpaper and seriously scratchy. I swallowed and then tried to clear my throat but it ended up mostly just sounding like a strange wheezing. 

" Barney?" I said out loud  again this time louder and he began to stir. His dark eyes opened slowly and it took him a moment to realise I was the one who woke him. Once he did notice he quickly stood at attention and made his way to where I laid. 

" Gosh Ferris, you're finally awake. How do you feel? " Barney asked in the familiar rustic voice that I loved while leaning down with a soft smile that looked good on him. He moved a few stray strands of blonde hair off of my face. 

" My head feels like a popped balloon and my body feels like it was run over by a steamroller" I answered with a small smile and Barney chuckled. " Well it sounds like you're emotionally stable" Barney said back. He looked tired, as if he hadn't slept in a few days. I rose my hand slowly and traced the bandage on his neck.

" How did you guys get me out? There must have been 5 dozen men with Greenwood" I asked curiously. 

" Well, I got some help from a couple of old friends who owed me favors anyway and we blasted those guys sky high. We took care of Greenwood, won't be seeing him ever again. And Don't worry, the only injuries are Gunnar getting shot in the leg, Toal House took a bullet to the chest but the bullet proof vest stopped it, however it did Crack one of his ribs, and I cut by a knife on the underside of my neck" Barney gesturing to his neck " We got you back here and you've been out for about 6 days but have been recovering very well." Barney added.

Wow. 6 days. That's quite a long time.

" How long until I can get out of here" I asked and looked down at my body that was covered by asked hospital gown but my arms were bruised even though several of the bruises were already starting to fade some. On my right forearm I even had stitches. 

" Doctor said in about half a week or so" Barney answered and I sighed. 

I rose my hand to my chest looking for my locket that I always figured with but came up unsuccessful. What the.... I couldn't have lost it! Had it come off during the mission?

" Looking for something?" Barney asked holding up my silver locket in his fingers. " Oh my gosh I thought I had lost it" I said breathing out a sigh of relief as Barney handed me the locket. Barney smirked " The nurses had to remove it so they could take care of your neck" Barney explained and I nodded. 

" Goodness what would I without you?" I asked smiling broadly up at him. " That's a good question Ferris, you would actually most likely still be stuck with Greenwood and b-" Barney said sarcastically but  was cut off when I punched his arm playfully even though it hurt my arm just to raise it. 

Barney chuckled deeply and looked back down at me. " I'm serious Barney, thank you" I said still smiling. 

" Your welcome Ferris" Barney said and leaned down and kissed me softly on the lips.