Level 7 ✧ Handling The News

"'Because I always win,'" I imitated, in a high-pitched voice. "Yeah, well, we'll see about that!" I angrily pressed down on the Y-button of my Xbox controller and glowered at the screen in front of me. "Stupid douchebag," I muttered, thinking of Braid On.

"So Hudson, how long has she been like this?" I heard Gavin murmur. It'd been three days since I last saw Braid On, and after getting Gavin and Hudson to sign up for the competition with me, we've been practicing ever since. It was a Saturday, and being that work had just let out for Hudson and I, we were at Gavin's house to hang out and practice for the Battle Ground state championship.

"For the past few days," Hudson responded.

"She must hate this kid to his guts."

"Tell me about it."

"Bridget, just give it up," Gavin said, in an attempt to appease me.

"No!" I barked, punching the trigger button and watching as I got a double kill. "That asshole is so going to get it! I will fucking kill him!"

"Damn, since when did Bridget get all violent?" Gavin mused.

"Since she met Brayden," Hudson answered. "Oh, and from all the violent video games she's been playing."

"I'm actually pretty excited to meet him. I've never seen Bridget this racked up before."

Hudson laughed. "Yeah."

"Shut up, guys!" I exclaimed. "I'm trying to concentrate!"

"You already have like, twenty kills," Hudson argued.

"I need thirty if I'm ever going to beat the crap out of Braid On."

"Wow. So what exactly is his name? Brayden, Braid On, or Mr. Douchebag?" Gavin asked, amusingly. "Because I've been hearing all three this past hour."

"All three," I clarified. I suddenly gasped when I saw that I made it onto the last kill cam. I practically jumped out of my seat in excitement. "Yes! Last kill! Watch my epic throwing knife skills, boys!" I threw my controller down onto the couch and beamed at my friends as they watched, in awe, at my winning shot.

Hudson's mouth dropped open. "Are you serial?"

"Very serial," I confirmed, gloatingly. "Second throwing knife kill! I am fucking beast!"

"A very wild beast," Hudson added.

I chucked a piece of lint (one that was on my sweater) at him, but being that it was so light, it fell three inches short of reaching him. It fluttered to the ground like a feather.

Hudson blinked at the fluttering piece of lint, dumfounded. A few seconds later, he said, "Wow. Was that meant to hurt me?" He was on the verge of laughter.

"I was kind of hoping, yes." I blushed.

"Try something harder next time." He smirked.

"You're an idiot," I muttered. I slumped back into my seat.

"Uh, I don't think so," Hudson said, crossing his arms and glaring at me. "Can we play Halo now?" Gavin and him were sitting to the right of me, Hudson in the middle. They had bored looks on their faces and their Xbox controllers were sitting on the coffee table.

"The competition starts in three weeks, Hudson. We are not going to waste away our time on Halo."

"But—"

"Just go with the flow, Huds," Gavin said, chucking the controller at him.

"Yeah, Hudson. Go with the flow," I repeated, glaring at him.